Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok i THINK i want it!!. Of the two XM and Serius. What one is better?. Also what receiver would be good to use? I would like a small one so i could mount it on the fearing someplace in a easy to see spot and i see some am/fm radios will work and some wont. I need a lesson on this stuff can anyone help?

Pat

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Pat,

XM is a great way to go. I prefer it to MP3 players because I like a varity of music.

Functionally there is not difference between XM and Sirius. Musically they are very similar too. Its the extra programming that makes a difference.

XM Has:

Opie and Anthony
Major League Baseball (yes all the games)
Some college football (SEC I think)
NPR type clone (Bob Edwards)
Sirius has or will have:

Howard Stern
Martha Stuart
NFL
I currently have XM. Actually 2 of them. A Roady2 for the car/bike and Ski Fi for home. I love it. The Roady 2 is really small and does the job. There are other models out there that will do it too but for me the R2 is the best for what I want.

In the next 4-5 months I will be buying Sirius to add to the collection. I have to admit during my hour plus commute each way I listen to Stern in the morning.

What I really want to see is one unit that can get both XM and Sirius.

Price is about the same on both. 12 bucks a month. I used to think it was stupid but when I was riding across country last year it was great listening to baseball, checking the traffic reports and getting weather from the weather channel. ( I was running from Tornado Warnings on one 1000 mile day).

I would say your deciding factor would be the above programming differences and mountability. Again I like the R2 because its small and there are some neat mounts for the wing from CycleGadgets. On my ST I used to just shove it into the map pouch on my tank bag.

Steve

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Hey Pat,

I've got XM in my van and love it. Not sure what programs Sirus has but XM has everything I need. Any kind of none stop music you want, several news and sports channels, talk radio, comedy, and best of all NASCAR.

I'm going to put a antenna on the Wing so I can move it back and forth. Long Wing trip coming up this summer and would like to have it on the bike.

I'm sure there are Sirus fans out there that love their's just as well. Don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was leaning to XM over Sirius but after reading about them both and a side to side comparison it really does not matter what one;)I dont care about sports and will only listen to music(GOOD old rock and roll)So i think im going to get a Pioneer indash unit. Hows this setup look?

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/116336/rpem/ccd/productDetailAccessory.do#tabs

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/116501/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It looks like the easyest cleanest way to go and it is all controlled with the radio BUT i read you need to mount the antenna to your all metal car roof and i see there all mounted abotu the same. So how did you mount your antenna?

Pat

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hello Pat

I have XM and I have been very happy with. The Roady 2 is smaller and more compact then the Sky-Fi, you can also getXM features and Sirius in a dash mounted radios like Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, ect... Also and this is for Steve the XM people will give you a discount if you have more then one unit (any model) it was like $9.95 a month but I notice it is up to the same as Sirius at $12.95 a month but I think you can still get the multiple discounts that was $6.95 for up to four units it also gets cheaper the more units you have. :cheeky1:

Have a good day Baja65/Fred

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
I was leaning to XM over Sirius but after reading about them both and a side to side comparison it really does not matter what one;)I dont care about sports and will only listen to music(GOOD old rock and roll)So i think im going to get a Pioneer indash unit. Hows this setup look?

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/116336/rpem/ccd/productDetailAccessory.do#tabs

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/116501/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It looks like the easyest cleanest way to go and it is all controlled with the radio BUT i read you need to mount the antenna to your all metal car roof and i see there all mounted abotu the same. So how did you mount your antenna?

Pat

On my ST I velcroed the antenna to the Givi Top box. On the wing I just bought the Roady2 holder from cyclegadgets.

There are some slick XM systems out there like the XM commander which would work on the bike pretty well. For the best prices for XM go to www.myradiostore.com. I've purchased alot of stuff from them. And they have a forum www.xm411.com that is run by the owner.

I just put the Ram Mountable Roady2 on the bike 5 minutes ago. Its a very slick installation. My Wing looks like an octopus at the moment with all the Ram mount stuff I have on it. Once I get it all settled I'll take a pic and post it.

steve
90 GL1500

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well i guess you could say im waffling but i THINK this is what im going with as the 1 talk show i listen to is on XM

http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-receivers/pioneer-gex-p910xm.html

It looks like the radio has all i need. The Xm receiver can be mounted in the trunk or saddle bag and best of all there is not an extra gadget to look at when im riding. All i need to do is find someplace online that sells the entire setup.

For the best price:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well after doing lotsa looking around here is the setup that looks like will be best for a 84/87 wing that will not break the bank,look good,easy to install and should work about anyplace IMHO

Radio: Pioneer cd player DEH-P4700MP or what ever model you like

XM tuner: GEX-P910XM

Speakers:Alpine SPS 100A 4"

IF you dont have them the Speaker covers you can get new from sierra for $50. The remote control for the radio can be mounted on the little flat spot below the kill button and be thumb operated. Using the pioneer XM tuner all you need is a pioneer radio so no extra stuff hanging off the handle bars to fiddle with.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.