Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had resigned myself to the fact that I probably wouldn't get to ride this past weekend. Too much to do and not enough time and Sunday was supposed to be bad with rain and snow forecast. I got up early; haircut (much needed), hauled trash, fixed breakfast, worked on projects around the house. Walked into the kitchen and Lois looked up at and said "just be home before five". What a girl! Don't you have anything else you want done or want to do, I asked. She replied that she was going to be cleaning in the kitchen and just to be careful. Down the steps and into the garage like a flash. Moved the Vette, turned on the air compressor and topped the pressure on the tires. Donned my heated jacket, leather jacket, chaps, helmet and gloves and walked "Raymond" out of the garage. I had a 1/2 tank of gas and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. After warming the engine we were off. The air was polished from the cold front that had passed thru the night before and the sun visor on my HJC helmet was definitely needed to cut the glare. I rode slowly on back roads looking at everything I could. Horses and cows grazing in the fields, birds chirping in the thickets and even some frogs croaking in the standing water along the side of the road. I just barely had the heat on the jacket which made riding so comfortable. Two hours into my ride I stopped for a sandwich and a cup of strong fresh coffee. Several commented on what a nice bike I had and wasn't it too cold. A weathered smile told them that the joy of the ride far outweighed a little cool air. Soon I was on my way again. I noticed that I was dangerously close to the big red dot just before the "E" on the gas gauge. I decided to ride until I had to go to reserve since I was close to a small town where a fill up would provide another brief stop before turning toward home. As the needle passed over the red dot the engine died and I switched to reserve. Road another 10 miles and topped "Raymond off with fresh petrol. That tankful had provided me with 46.9 miles per gallon. That was a pleasant surprise, as I had just installed a harley batwing faring and thought it would cost me a little gas mileage, when in fact, I gained a couple. As I rode back into the little town I call home, I noticed a vacant parking lot. I practiced doing figure eights for awhile and was pleased that I wasn't as rusty as I thought I would be. A good thing; my first class is scheduled for March 7th and I want to be ready. This was a good day after all; I thought how fortunate I am to be able to ride all year. That night brought rain and snow; beautiful in the morning light as I drank a cup of coffee and watched the sun break thru the morning clouds. Spring will be here soon and I will be ready for longer rides andwarmer days. The only down side to this wonderful weekend is that I found out an older friend that I don't get to see much has 4th stage lung cancer that has metastasized to his liver. He is taking kemo and very frail at the moment. He has ridden harleys all his life and I fear he will never ride again. A wonderful old gentleman that has ridden all over these United States and enjoyed the freedom and pleasure that only a bike can give. I will miss him; but each ride will now have more meaning for me.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Very nice Bernie........prayers go out from Kansas.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Bill!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

A salute to your good friend.....

and a salute to you for being a good friend....

and may God smile on you both!

You're having way too much fun back there in ol' Tennessee, Bernie! Guess I'll have to move back there to keep an eye on ya...... get me a "double-wide with poylester curtains and a redwook deck!" Or better yet! Find me a chunk of land, build a polebarn on it with a big door.... cobble me up a travel van with a motorcycle trailer hooked on it..... head for Tennessee, open up that big door, and back the van in! Live there until the snow's gone here! Back and forth... like a yo yo!

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Bernie, that was a toughtful jesture to your friend, I wish you and your friend the best for the coming riding year.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Bernie,

Great ride and a wonderful day after all.

Glad you had shaken the "rust off" ;) and all is well.

Take care, see ya one of these days for a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the kind remarks friends! Jack, I know just the place for you! We have plenty of pole barns and double wides if that is what you fancy!

Bernie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.