Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here in the Knoxville area, Saturday was THE day to ride. We were expecting temps in the low 70s. I got up early, fixed coffee and breakfast and planned my ride. I put on my Gerbing's heated liners just in case but never needed them. My ritual begins with backing the Vette out and parking it out of the way. Then I roll the bike to the center of the garage and check all those things that could ruin a good ride. Suit up, roll the bike out of the garage and warm it up. When I left the house it was 51 degrees and the sun was climbing in the Eastern sky. I rode slowly into the small town close to home and filled the tank. My trip took meNorth on the back roads thru small towns like Washburn, Maynardville, Blaine. Following the bottomland with babbling streams that fed into the Clinch river flowing thru larger mountain passes. I stopped for lunch at a resturantthat is more like an old friend than a resturant. The patrons inside watch as I pull up, swing my bike around and back into a spot wherewe could admire my bike as I ate. Fresh coffee and country food felt good and prepared me for the rest of my ride. The ride home was wonderful as the road meandered South following small streams that eventially opened up to a beautiful view of Norris lake. There were many bikes out with everyone waving; you could feel the excitement we all shared enjoying this perfect day. After the ride, I reflected on my day, all my blessings and how lucky, we, as Americans, are to have these privileges available to us.

Bernie

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Bernie,

What a wonderful write up. I felt like I was right there with you. Only the flavor of the grits was lacking :(, you must improve upon your writing style :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Glad you had a great ride. So many people just can't understand the joys of a pleasureable trip on our bikes.

Just the ride itself is pleasure in itself. Down here in Florida, we don't have the mountains, or twisty roads along a beautiful river.

Still the air in your face, the smells of the country side and the troubles left behind at home can't be beat!!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

When I stopped for lunch, I was approached by a wirey old man as I was removing my helmet. He looked at me, grinned and said, you never get it out of your system do you? I replied, I have been riding ever since I could walk and I still look forward to the next ride as much as the very first one. He said, I rode until I physically couldn't anymore and I get excited evertime I see someone like you get so much satisfaction from riding. I told him that my Dad had said the same thing. My Dad had his leg cut off in a mining accident and couldn't ride anymore, but he would sit on a bike for hours with a smile on his face. I wish I could have read his mind or saw the visions he was recalling. The old man wished me well and left with a smile on his face. The grits were prepared just right, and with a pat of real butter, they warmed the stomach, as well as, the heart and soul!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing that. And I know how you feel there is nothing like the wind in your face on the back of a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Had that same kind of feeling yesterday as I rode around central kentucky.

I don't think you ever get it our of your system. Planning to ride to Florida in March. Told the wifey, she said you are motorcycle crazy!!!. I told her yes I was ;)

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I feel you Dubwing, just an hour and 15 north east of you, I too got out and rode, only I had to work. but work is about a 30 mile ride, so I got to do it twice.Cant' wait till spring.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Knucklebucket, We will have to meet and ride this Spring! It was 31 New Year's day and I rode about 75 miles. Beautiful day; just a little nippy! Raining this morning and freezing North of us. I hope to get to ride Sat. and Sun. if it is dry.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
Temperature in the low 20,s salt on the roads. You guys suck.:cheeky1:
LOL. That's one good reason to live in Texas, no "end of season". :dude:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Both yesterday and today were good "riding" days down here in south Georgia...245 miles yesterday...208 today..SWEET!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I got 1/4 mile on my snow blower in minus 10 deg. Does that count.:cheeky1::shock:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

To damp and just nasty to ride today,but it was in the mid 60's,did get to repair wiring on some lights, and took the 8yo out on his dirt bike and let him ride and get all muddy. That was almost as good as getting out and riding........almost!:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
Both yesterday and today were good "riding" days down here in south Georgia...245 miles yesterday...208 today..SWEET!!!!!!!
Hey chesterwgunn, your helmet and shoes aren't matching. not to mention your thong. whats up?:cool::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
chesterwgunn wrote:
Hey chesterwgunn, your helmet and shoes aren't matching. not to mention your thong.  whats up?:cool::cheeky1:
I was in kind of a hurry...

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Knucklebucket, We will have to meet and ride this Spring! It was 31 New Year's day and I rode about 75 miles. Beautiful day; just a little nippy! Raining this morning and freezing North of us. I hope to get to ride Sat. and Sun. if it is dry.

Bernie
I agree, I took the first 9 days off in January hoping to get the time to change the front cover seals on my bike, and wouldn't you know it, it has dam near rained the entire time.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
chesterwgunn wrote:
Hey chesterwgunn, your helmet and shoes aren't matching. not to mention your thong. whats up?:cool::cheeky1:
Ohh crap Chester, your avatar is just wrong.:D

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

We got nailed with over 3 feet of snow Dec 12th & I still need 4 wheel drive to get into my subdivision:hovering:I could have my bike back together within 1 hour if the weather would give us a break but for now I can continue to wrench on it in my "Expensive care" unit:(

I love driving my new pick up but I really miss riding. We can usually ride most of the winter here but this one has my work shut down & me doin reno's for the wife.

Got an awesome new bathroom now, complete with jaccuzzi tub (never again) & were starting on the kitchen in the next few days.................Shoot me!!!:shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.