Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
414 Posts
Strange. Both of those makes took 0w-20.
My 2015 Silverado also takes 0w-20 dexos.
With the tight tolerenaces on engines these days, a lot of cars and trucks are running low viscosity oils.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange. Both of those makes took 0w-20.
My 2015 Silverado also takes 0w-20 dexos.
With the tight tolerenaces on engines these days, a lot of cars and trucks are running low viscosity oils.
The automotive industry has gone crazy trying to squeeze fuel mileage out where ever they can. Low viscosity oils are less parasitic and that is the main reason for the low viscosity oils. They use LV oils in the engine, automatic transmission and even drive axles now.
Another thing they did was eliminate the power steering pump and replace it with electric steering. I just repaired a Ford 6F35 transmission that has an undersized charge pump for the same reason. The problem is the pump can barely keep up when the truck is brand new. As soon as you get any internal leakage there is no margin for safety. Even a minor internal leak causes shift issues that only get worse.That is the government getting involved again. Forcing manufacturers to go to insane lengths to gain minute fuel mileage gains. You gain 1/10 MPG and $6,000 later you have a new transmission at 100K miles.
When you talk about tight fit that is an understatement. I think it is either Toyota or Honda that has a piston to cylinder clearance of -.002. That is negative 2 one thousandths. What is unexpected is that those cars have piston slap when it is cold outside.
Guess I was lucky to live and work when I did. Open the hood take off the wing nut and change the air filter. I got nervous when GM came out with HEI on my Aunts new 1974 Impala. :oops:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it's also the newer generations thought process, don't fix anything, just replace it! I just saw Best Buy offering $130 trade in for a phone that we have and are still paying for. It really seems you have to live for the moment, buy a new car for $50K and scrap it before you even pay for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts