Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saying Goodbye to my GL1500

640 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LarryInSeattle 
#1 ·
I've had this bike for a few years and really enjoyed it but I can't really ride long distances anymore due to a physical injury.

I was thinking about converting it to a "cyclecar", GL1500 back half with a car front end, tube chassis ala Ariel Atom, sort of like a T-Rex. The trans is making the shifter fork rubbing noise and I have a spare motor/trans that I was going to swap out anyway so it would be all done at the same time.

I'm just coming to the realization that I have too many other projects and will not get to this one for many years to come. It saddens me because I wanted to have the motorcycling experience without wrestling with handle bars.

So I'll have to stick to four wheels convertibles to get my open air thrills.

I'm sure I will continue to lurk here as there are always some good stories and I'll ride vicariously through you guys.

Thanks for all the great entertainment!

#3 ·
For many of us the day comes when we have to make the decision . Only you know whats best in your case . A convertable is always a good option to keep the wind blowing and sun on your back . Make it a "Jeep ' like vehicle and open a new world of enjoying the back country possibly .
It can be a sad time to see a bike leave ( I guess thats why I keep so much stuff ) and to learn the purchaser is going to part it out may hurt more . The upside is many of us depend on the parting out to keep our bikes in use . So please dont dwell on it to long .
We are happy to have you here to share in whatever ways you feel . No bike needed here in Saunders family .
Be happy and safe .

#4 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I actually have a new BMW38i with the retractable hard top (my wife's DD) and a Miata for convertibles plus a couple hot rods. My brother in law is trying to talk me into getting a Jeep as he has one and I'm seriously thinking about it.

I'll keep lurking here though. Thanks.:waving:

#6 ·
I may be reaching that point in the not to distant future, at least with a Goldwing or other large motorcycle. I have 3 smaller scooters (Vino 125, Zuma 125, and Genuine Stella 150) and have no problem with those. It's also getting to the point where I can barely get my leg over the seat of my XT225 dual sport. I am considering a freeway legal scooter. I have a hot rod I built myself, and have a hard time driving, because of the racing clutch and manual shifter. I am also considering a Miata, but have a hard time getting in or out of them because they are so low. Maybe a Mustang convertible. I have had a couple of Jeeps and a Suzuki Samurai. Fun, but I much prefer off roading on a bike, or even a quad over those.

#8 ·
I sold my 1500 a month ago. After 3 years and 30,000 miles, sadly I didn't have any long range touring coming up this year or next, so I sold it.

I learned awhile ago that one should never love something that can't love you back.

I do have a 600cc maxi scooter and a Drifter to ride. I miss the comfort, but I am sure the new owner will enjoy it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.