Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello alltogether,

my name's Ralf, age 46and I live in Mannheim, Germany.

I have a '76 CB 500 Four for many years and a '77 GL 1000 K2 since 2007.

It has an interesting history, first 9 or 10 years registered in the US so it is a real US- version incl. miles dial on the speedo and all the other differences to the Euro- Versions. I fell in love with it on first sight and it's in pretty good cond. so far.

I've learned that the US/ CAN Goldwing community, especially for the GL 1000 is much much bigger and more vital than here in Germany.

So I'm happyhaving foundsuch great sites such as this one, naked wing and Randall's.

Possibly one of you would give some hint upon this problem:

Choke cable won't stay in drawn up position (choke fully closed) but slips instantly half way down and then gradually even farther. Not enough holding force.

So I must always start the cold engine with clutch and gear engaged for needing my lefthand to keep the choke drawn. Once started it is not possible toadjust a constant idle speed for the same reason.

It's uncomfortable and drains the battery more than needed.

Is there a way to stop the cable slip by adjusting some thingwithin this basically simple mechanism?

thanks in advance for some advice and again my best regards from Germany.

Hope thatI can be helpful for another member of this forum in another problem soon.

Bye, Ralf

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I have had 3 running gl 1100 and I too have always had to hold the choke cable , I think the Idea is that way you wont leave it on accidently , they really only need be used a few seconds ,,,, less than a minute anyway.
I don't understand why you must start with gear engaged.

I frequently push start mine down a big hill and have to pull choke after it fires up to keep it going till it warms up.
And yes we have cold weather here in Alabama too.
I wouldn't adjust the idle screw until it is well warmed up tho.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

welcome to the best goldwing site --i`ve found ! !

the answer to your problem is--- under the rubber cover where the shaft of the cable enters. there is a tension device that you can adjust to hold the cable shaft to any postion. turning it clockwise will tighten the tension on the cable shaft to hold it in postion. turning it counter clockwise will loosen the tension . adjust as needed . a small dose of light oil may help to attin a smooth action. i belive this to be ture on the 75 to 82 models.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:

the answer to your problem is--- under the rubber cover where the shaft of the cable enters. there is a tension device that you can adjust to hold the cable shaft to any postion. turning it clockwise will tighten the tension on the cable shaft to hold it in postion. turning it counter clockwise will loosen the tension . adjust as needed . a small dose of light oil may help to attin a smooth action. i belive this to be ture on the 75 to 82 models.
Just like ole Wayne has said. Adjustment ring under the rubber cover. Adjust to your liking. And yes, it's the same all the way up to the 82's. 83 has a lever.

Welcome to the site. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hey great, thank you, esp. wda38-wing and bagmaster!

I didn't see this adjustment ring yet.

this will be my first action when entering the garage next time.

best regards, Ralf

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

Was stationed in Wurzberg Germany in the 80's and loved it there, wish I had had a bike there:action:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if by some chance you dont have a manual for your bike ------you can down load on from the FAQ section of this site. good luck with it too.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome Ralf to a great forum from Canada, and the forumis global. Keep in touch often. :waving: :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:

thank's for that advice wda-83wing i have the same problem did not know that.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks to all for this warm welcome!

Ray and Tracy, you are so right, Germany is a fine place place for biking when the weather is fine. I moved around a lot for job career and now for 1 1/2 years in Mannheim.

weather is always a bit warmer here in the Rhine valley and there is more sunshine. Around there are nice hilly forests like Schwarzwald, and when you drive westbound you are in France within 45minutes.

The best thing is that I now have two bikes of entirely different character. Little 500F is made up as sort of cafe racer for quick rides and crisp cornering, when I'm in the mood for some sunday morning ride. But seat and handlebar layout makes my backbone hurt after some 100km.

Big GL is totally different, esp. the US- Version I have. Perfect for some longer trips with some overnights. It's like an old S- class Mercedes running two wheels. Glorious feeling to ride it.

I love it both ways.

You all drive safely and I'm very glad having found this forum.

best rgds, Ralf

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

see there ---no telling what you can pick up on from this site. enjoy and visit often----its habit forming thro--be for warned .

glad i was of some help. wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.