Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Old Honda rider
1998 Valkyrie
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 wing 1500 with 50k miles I have a issue with the front tire scalping. Run 2oz.
Of dyna beads. Run 32-34 psi.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I have a 1988 wing 1500 with 50k miles I have a issue with the front tire scalping. Run 2oz.
Thank You.
Once allowed to start it's unlikely to be cured … you should be running 38-40 psi. Next tire.

Not a balance issue with tire "dyna beads", I think 2 oz. is maybe the recommended amount.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
32-34 is way too low, by 10 lbs at least.
I run 42-44 both front and back on m/c tires.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Thank You.
What brand of tire...???

Unless you are running an Avon front tire, I would recommend 38 psi front, 41 psi rear.

Dyna beads are good, used them for several years.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
I tried a Continental now and it has zero cupping but it has zero grip as well.
I know we are in a different time and year but............

Back in the day, I had a couple Continental rear tires on my '77 Wing and only got 8,000 miles. Switched to a Dunlop tire and got 10,000 miles.

Same roads and same riding style...............!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
In Feb. 1981 I bought a 1980 CB750 F. It came with Dunlops and the only good thing about those tires was they wore out quick so I could put some 'Stones on the bike. For another 6 years and 60K miles all I put on that bike was Bridgestones. Enter May of '87 and Bike. On the showroom floor it was wearing Dunnies, but I test rode another 'Wing with the latest Dunlop Elites and, at not a real steep lean angle, but at some speed, I gave the bike some throttle and the rear tire let go and we came pretty close to crashing. So, I bought Bike but, before riding it off the lot, had the shop install new Bridgestone Spitfires on it.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
FWIW I'm out on dunlops too. Probably the worst 2 brands I've seen on cars or motorcycles, bridgestone & dunlop.

·
life is good
1,186 Posts

Absolutely: shocks and struts provide damping force to control tire movement. When the tires move excessively, they develop a “cupping” wear pattern that damages the tire. Other factors such as incorrect air pressure, worn suspension components or improperly aligned steering also causes uneven tire wear
1598663030620.jpeg

·
life is good
1,186 Posts
proly shocks. but check wheel bearings and. the bearings in the triple trees . and if you dont keep a very good habit on checking air pressure in your tires could be tire pressure.motorcycles are a very high maintenance . or very low maintenance when you have a i will git to it later additude.stuff like tire cupping. very common problem.people that take very good care ,or are good about changing fluids and maintenance you very seldom here them say tire cupping is a problem. even alignment needs to be checked from time to time.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
40 psi is a good pressure on to run up front.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Bridgestone on mine. I have found that I have a wobble taking off at about 32-33, yet it seems to wander at 40. I try to keep it around 36-38. The back tire seems fine at 40

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cupping or scalloping is caused by low pressure. Modern mc tires have dual compound, where the center tread is a harder compound for better mileage and the adjacent tread is softer for cornering. When a tire is run with low pressure the harder center is pushed up as the tire squats, allowing the softer compound area to make contact while going straight. This produces a kind of wave in the tread and a scrubbing action that occurs along the boundary of the different compounds, which is where the cupping is seen. I run 41 psi front and rear,

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Cupping or scalloping is caused by low pressure. Modern mc tires have dual compound, where the center tread is a harder compound for better mileage and the adjacent tread is softer for cornering. When a tire is run with low pressure the harder center is pushed up as the tire squats, allowing the softer compound area to make contact while going straight. This produces a kind of wave in the tread and a scrubbing action that occurs along the boundary of the different compounds, which is where the cupping is seen. I run 41 psi front and rear,
Yes it can be caused by low pressure but I think the biggest issue on the GL1500 that causes cupping is tire size. Honda ended up with a pretty small front tire on a big bike. It was necessary to keep the bike "swoopy." The front tire on a 1500 can carry about 600 PSI max.
I'm not sure how the weight is distributed but assume 50/50 front to rear. The bike weight approaching 900 pounds without a driver then add a 300 pound man would push that up to 1200 with 600 pounds on the front tire. That is the maximum weight the front tire is rated for.
So it is easy to see the 1500 is sort of pushing the limit as far as the front tire is concerned. One of the reasons a tire cups is overload. That is why I suspect the biggest reason cupping occurs on 1500 is we are working the front tire awful hard. It seems like adding an extra couple PSI to the air presssure helps. 🌝 .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts