Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just took my 2008 1800GL in to the dealer for it's first check-up, 4000 miles. I already knew about what the bill would be ($170) but the only real work was the oil and filter change, the rest was labor and shop materials. Oil was $5 a quart, which seems pretty expensive to me, especially out of a drum. I wanted the dealer to look at it the first time, so I know that they overcharged me. I'm okay with that once.

My question is, on a new Wing, are any of you out there doing your own oil changes and inspection on fluids and such? My question comes more from the warranty aspect, has anybody that does their own periodicals had any problems getting warranty work completed? I always kept good records in the past when I worked on my vehicles, and I would like to do my own work (non-warranty items) on my Wing.

Any thoughts?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
imported post

Maybe an idea to keep it serviced with a dealer until the warranty runs out, ifa warranted part was to breakwith no dealer service history you may come unstuck. hope this helps :waving:

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Always DIY. The dealer is about 100 miles away which means a day off work. Also, the dealers charge about £50 per hour labour :shock:

In the UK, stamps in the service book don't mean agreat deal on a Wing, possibly if you have an early warranty issue, but my wing is 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)Apart from the anti dive valve,,, all work carried out by myself,,,,,,,,,with a little advice hear and there from Mr Muppet,,,, :)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

besides you have the best help around, this forum.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

If you keep a diary of your work, date each entry with the mileage, it will stand up in court if need be.

Dealer not required. Only that the maintenance was done. You might even include a camera shot of the odometer with the diary entry right there next to it.

'nuff said... Works for me. My lawyer buddy also said it would stand up in court if need be. :)

Do that with regularity, on time, and I can't see where any dealer would be able to refute that the maintenance was not done on schedule.

You and I know, we are better than the dealer's trained monkeys anyway :grinner:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Over the years, with a variety of Wings and other bikes, and starting with the mechanical aptitude and talent of a donkey, I've learned to adjust valves, rebuild brakes, remove and install fork seals and bushings, change timing belts, and mount tires...... I do all oil changes, and replace oil filters,air filters, spark plugs, and brake pads. I rebuilt an alternator. With my new KLR 650, I even dove into the engine and swapped out the notoriously weak OEM balancer spring lever......

I am convinced that doing your own work does the following: (1.) insures that the work is actually done, (2.) insures that it is done right -- with your own rear end on the saddle, you pay special attention, and (3.) rounds out the experience, and makes you a better rider. With a few select tools (see Rudy's tool kit elsewhere on this forum), I am no longer ever afraid to go across town, across the state, or across the continent. I think each and every one of us should do our own work. My opinion, anyway......

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

CJ, I am NOT a mechanic. Have rarely done anything other than change the oil on the cages, and stopped that twenty years ago.

On the other hand, life seems to be getting a little more expensive, and so I bougt a couple of Honda oil filters and Mobil 1 synthetic oil, planning on my first oil change in many years. Have speakers to replace, a couple other parts and adjustments to make, and although there is plenty of information here and elsewhere, I am intimidated. Bought a manual off ebay, going to print out the oil change instructions off this site, I know I can do it.

I hope you're right, and I can grow as I learn my bike in ways other than riding it!

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

:action: I do my own maintenance on my bike, you know it's done right, all the nuts and bolts are back in place where they came out. . Plus you get to see if anything else is wrong or missing that might be warranty work.

Just keep record of your work and supply you needed to buy for the service, take pictures of record. When I had an Warranty issue, Honda Dealership never question my work and just completed the work they had to do, but, I always had my Binder with all my work I performed on my vehicle. ;)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i don't worry about warranties because rarly does anything break in the factory warranty timeframe or even in the extended warranty timeframes & by the time you pay for the extened warranty & authorized independant/ dealer service for the rutine maintance for the life of the warranty (to be sure your covered) you probally payed the repair cost just in an installment fashion instead of all at once.

if its a big cost warranty repair they will still try to deniy your claim based on that 1 time you went a little over the milage/ months or you had the service done while on the road at a different place so it's not in their records or you used the vehicle for an nonintended use that "could have" caused the problem even if only done breifly once years earlier.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Keep good records and you should be fine. The other side of it to is after warranty, you will have great records if you decide to sell. The PO of mine, had most work done by the dealer and when he didn't, he kept the receipts of the parts. Gave me a great history to go by. I could see about when the brake pads will need to be replaced etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, just keep a record of the service, mileage, date and your initials and you meet the requirements for warrenty. The feds changed the law sometime back about the same time they eliminated insurance companies from forcing you to get three quotes for body work on accident claims. I keep a small notebook in the folder that my bike's owner's manual is housed in with that information. It's also handy to keep track of mileage on tires, age of the battery and belts, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have an extended service contract on my new 1800 so the dealer handles it for now. I even get a loaner if it will be over night. However I handle all ov it for my 1100 and my BMW k bike. I have actually found that although I have never been a grease monkey that I really enjoy wrenching on my bikes. I now have my garage devoted to my bikes and my cages are on the street. I have a table lift and a mc jack. I am working on making my garage a MC spa.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
I have an extended service contract on my new 1800 so the dealer handles it for now. I even get a loaner if it will be over night. However I handle all ov it for my 1100 and my BMW k bike. I have actually found that although I have never been a grease monkey that I really enjoy wrenching on my bikes. I now have my garage devoted to my bikes and my cages are on the street. I have a table lift and a mc jack. I am working on making my garage a MC spa.
Then for some more good ideas on that you need to take a peek into Kit Carson's garage. He's got it set up real nice for bike work including the tire changer.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Has anyone ever been asked for service records in regards to warranty work on anything? I never have been. Whether it be a bike, car, or lawnmower. I have never been asked to produce any form of a record in regards to service done.

It is not stipulated in any owners manual that you cannot do your own service work They cannot restrict you from this.

The burden of proof that you have or have not done the proper service is with them, not you, and as they cannot prove if you have or have not done this they do not even try.

I would think keeping records other than for your own use, might in fact be a bad thing. Say for instance you know you should change the oil at 12,000 miles but you let it slide to 13,000 and make a record of this , could this not be used by the enemy?

Just saying, have never ever had this problem, do not see how they would even try to make an issue out of it, and if they did, how could the prove it, can you tell if the oil has went 13,000 without written documentation? I cannot.

Kit

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Can't say for cycles. I've read reports of car owners being denied repairs covered under warranty due to not having documentation that service was done on a regular basis. The reports were complaining of major drive train failure with no help from the manufacturer or extended warranty company.

That being said, I don't know how much pressure the people put on the companies to make it right. I know, I would be pushing pretty hard if I was denied a legitmate claim on a technicality.

Just My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I want to thank everyone for their opinions on this subject. I have always done regular inspections on my bikes and I'm not to worried about the dealer. They indeed to keep good records of what they have done to you bike or car, but that my not be the whole picture, especially if you get an oil change at the Jiffy-Lube or someplace similiar.

Since I have 7 years of unlimited mileage warranty (I got the extra 4 years just about free), I was checking with my number one source, this forum, to get an idea on what everyone else was doing,those thathad new Wings mainly. I fully understand that once the warranty runs out, you do most things within your ability yourself.

Thanks to all again, and have a Happy Thanksgiving (for those celebrating)!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

I have a small three ring binder for each of my vehicles. I have the clear three pages that I keep all the receipts in and a log sheet in the front of the binder.

It keeps you on track and really impresses when it comes time to sell.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My advice is NEVER buy new and ALWAYS do your own maintenance.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

You guys that change your own tires.....do you run them unbalenced? How does that work?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.