Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see if anyone here has a scooter in addition to your Wing? I am not speaking of the Maxi scooters but rather something along the likes of a Metropolitan or Ruckus. Although you couldn’t get much further apart on the spectrum, I have become interested in them.

Seems to me they would be fun to run around on around the house or even throw on a trailer and take for the occasional weekend getaway when the Wing isn’t practical.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Rex

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked at Piaggio online and they look like they would be a lot of fun. I just haven’t been lucky enough to see one around here in person. Maybe one will surface during my quest and could actually look it over.

·
Administrator
58,495 Posts
I have looked at Piaggio online and they look like they would be a lot of fun. I just haven’t been lucky enough to see one around here in person. Maybe one will surface during my quest and could actually look it over.
The Piaggio MP3 scooters ride exactly like a full size motorcycle, with one big advantage. the Suspension leans completely over past 45 degrees if you want.

You can lock the front suspension at speeds under 5 mph as you come to a stop, allowing you to not need to put your feet down on wet/muddy pavement.
Yes, once that Suspension is locked, it does not tilt ever again, until unlocked.

I have experimented with that, takes a bit to get used to that feature...

I have a moment for you all to laugh at....
When we went to Harrison, AR for our Labor Day Midwest Meet 'n Greet, the Piaggio rode in the Toy Hauler, and I rode it around everywhere for a week.

then we went back home, and we stayed inside for a couple weeks to allow the hot summer temps to go away.

I pulled the GL1800 out of the shop, geared up, and hit the road....
well, almost.... our driveway is 350 feet long from the shop to the County Road.

Here is where you can laugh with me..... I literally just guffawed at myself for this miscue.

INFO: left hand lever is Rear Brake:
right hand lever is Front brake:

when I needed to hit the brakes at the road intersection, and look Left/Right for traffic, I squeezed the Left handlebar Lever down to the grip tight.... nothing else, just that left handlebar.... :|

Well, my speed and timing was such that when I realized that is a CLUTCH you jerk, and hit the foot brake, I was on the otherside of the road riding in gravel again. :frown2:

·
1,649 Posts
I bougth an small used scooter (110ccm , Aprilia ) some years ago , thinking it was practical for picking up groseries and such . I have about 2,5 miles to town .
Did some minor repairs , got it inspected and registred and never used it again !
Sold it after 6 monts and made maybe $100 ?

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
You can lock the front suspension at speeds under 5 mph as you come to a stop, allowing you to not need to put your feet down on wet/muddy pavement.
Yes, once that Suspension is locked, it does not tilt ever again, until unlocked.
Funny story. I expected to end by you forgetting to put your feet down
Practical scooter. It is just like a butter face girl Everything is nice about her but her face

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 50 cc chinese scooter that I ride everywhere around the house . No insurance needed I bought it new 10 years ago and it had just one $30.00 problem to fix during its life time
If you don’t mind me asking which brand do you have. So many of the reviews I have seen on the Chinese scooters have been less than favorable.

Not sure if the reviews are justified or if people buy them and don’t take care of them. We have a lot around here for sell used and when you see the condition for the mileage it is evident they have taken a lot of abuse. Heck my 30 year old wing looks mint compared to some of what I see only a couple of years old.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Peace Arrows.
Unfortunately mine does not look great. I lent it to a friend of mine's kid (25y/O) and he dropped it. It looks like he fixed with chewing gum.
Then a few weeks ago my son parked it on his driveway facing down. The scooter went on its own for 6 ft then it kissed the ground.

They say on Chinese scooter its a hit or miss. My buddy bought one ( dont know the brand)and he's not that happy with it. mine is way faster with more accelerating power. Both 50 cc.
I would buy a used one and check it out well. Make sure it is currently being used

1 - 10 of 10 Posts