Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Where canI find a screw on oil filter for a 1980 GL1100 Standard? I have read some post where some people have found them, and I'd rather go with one of those than Mother Honda's.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanxs Guys,
I appreciate the info!
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Send a pm to keith64. He makes them in his spare time. His are stainless the best I remember

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I thought you were saving up for a filter?
How can you afford this if you can't afford a filter and oil at the same time?
Maybe I misread the other post on it.
I get confused easily. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I'm curious why somebody hasn't just taken a piece of hollow pipe, threaded one end 20 mm and the other end 3/4". You screw the 20mm end into the engine case and the 3/4" end accepts the spin on filter.

You'd have to look for the right filter diameter to mate up with the block but I don't know why this wouldn't work.

I talked to a machinist and he said this piece wouldn't be hard to make.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:
I'm curious why somebody hasn't just taken a piece of hollow pipe, threaded one end 20 mm and the other end 3/4". You screw the 20mm end into the engine case and the 3/4" end accepts the spin on filter.

You'd have to look for the right filter diameter to mate up with the block but I don't know why this wouldn't work.

Just a thought.
Just spinning a filter on the end of a pipe will give the O-ring that seals the return side nothing to seal to, and the engine would pump it's oil out on the ground. That's why they make the adapter plate.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Now I know how to do what I have been wanting to do for a long time, put a oil cooler on my Goldwing trike, Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

i also got mine from keithg64.works good.looks good.and he ships real quick.iam real pleased ......

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
cycleman wrote:

Just a thought.
Just spinning a filter on the end of a pipe will give the O-ring that seals the return side nothing to seal to, and the engine would pump it's oil out on the ground. That's why they make the adapter plate.
I must be missing something. The Honda canister performs the exact same function as a spin on filter. Both have an O ring or gasket that contacts the block the only difference is the standard filter resides in the cannister.

Several years ago they did make a spin on filter with the pipe sticking out of the spin on oil filter that would fit these bikes. You justthreaded it in place. It was expensive so didn't really catch on.

All I'm talking about is creating the hollow pipe with both ends threaded properly. The spin on filter will cover everything the same as the standard canister does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.