Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Screwed buy the date code

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LarryC 
#1 ·
Our new to us 02 1800 needed a new rear tire when we bought it. Lucky us, the P O threw in a new excedra with the bike . Only it turns out when I went to get it changed the mechanic
came out and says he can't get it mounted because the rubber is so hard. We checked the date code and lo and behold it come's up week 30 of 2010. This was a one of a pair of tires the PO said were purchased 4/16. The tire we took off was dated week 4 2014. If you order tires from Motorcycle Superstore as he says he did be sure to look at the dates when they are delivered . I just had to buy another new tire . I sure hope one of you buys our old wing soon because this one is causing me to BLEED MONEY!

#3 ·
A friend of mine bought a set of front tires for his motor home. he checked the date code and it was a fresh tire. So he bought them and had the shop mount them. About 6 months later he had a blow out on the right front, rubber came up thru the floor board and almost took off hos wife leg. After the tire was changed he checked the date on the tire that blew and it was about 10 years old. They switched tires at the shop he bought them from. he couldn't prove it was the tire he bought because it was 6 months later and the shop said there was no way he could prove it was THE tire he bought there. So if you have your tires mounted at a shop, check the date after they are mounted.

#6 ·
That is a great idea. I will make sure that happens next time I buy tires, As a side note, I had to buy a tire for my Nissan Titan truck, it only had about 5,000 miles on it and I did something dumb and tore up a rear tire. I went to Goodyear to buy a matching tire. They automatically add road hazard warranty with the price of the tire. I said I didn't want that added and the salesman said all your tires are the same, if you have a road hazard on any tire just bring it back, we have no idea which tire the warranty is on. I wonder how many places actually record the DOT number on the bill.

Reactions: AZgl1800
#7 ·
i just bought a Yokohama c/t for the rear from amazon the code was 2712 the dame tire was 7 years old i sent it back and got it off tire rack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.