Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, let me TRY this once at least. It is a WMA file of the rattle on my SE-i that is bugging me. Speed ~55 mph, ~3700 RPM, very slight uphill grade. Recorded on my MP3 player in the pocket of my leather jacket, so not the best quality.

So... whatcha think? Carbon? Bearing? Phase-of-the-moon?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hard to say, does it make that noise when in neutral?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, just when under load, either mild load (barely over "float") or moderate - not heavy. And, it starts at about 3200 RPM and stays there until over 4000 RPM, when I think other sounds drown it out.

Sorry, I didn't mean for the clip to auto-play each time. At least it doesn't loop.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Where was that mp3 player located? In your pocket? Or in pocket on bike?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Duh ! I can't read. Pardon my blunder. I hear like a ticking sound. Is that the noise you're referring to? How many miles on odometer?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Around 38k on the clock. From everything else it seems to have been well cared for, but I don't know how hard the dairy farmer that I bought it from drove her. I kind of suspect carbon built up. I'm trying to get some TEC to do the neighborhood a favor and make sure they don't have any flying insects this winter.:cool:

The ticking sounds more like rapid hammering on the block when it is your bike and you are astraddle her. My co-worker and I were talking about that today. Always sounds worse when it's your bike. I doubt he could ever hear it if he rode mine - he rides a VTX 1800 with big straight pipes. I couldn't hear mine rev when I started it next to his just idling today.

BTW, I changed oil this weekend, after having run 1/2 qt MMO in with it for ~ 150 miles. Put a new filter and straight 15W40 Rotella in, no change in sound. Also ran stethescope all over it while idling and reving - maybe a little sound near #1 when reving.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

pidjones wrote:
No, just when under load, either mild load (barely over "float") or moderate - not heavy. And, it starts at about 3200 RPM and stays there until over 4000 RPM, when I think other sounds drown it out.

Sorry, I didn't mean for the clip to auto-play each time. At least it doesn't loop.
Pidjones, that noise is audible but hard to discern on my computer speakers.. It is light enough to stay on my upper speakers & none out of the sub woofer so if your recording is an accurate representation the noise is light (not a bearing)...

Any chance you have an exhaust leak or pin hole in the exhaust?

Can you make another recording with the recorder taped to some steel part of the bike near the engine.. You have a lot of background, intake noise & combustion noise so the knocking is very hard to break out on it's own..

If you can get a better recording without the intake & engine mechanical noise maybe it will a be a little clearer & I could then run it on the acoustic analyzer at work & get the frequency of the peaks vs order.. Thatmight point us to the component & possibly order (is your RPM accurate?)..

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

38k shouldn't cause any bearing problems, unless it may have accidently been run with no oil, or in it's history, if the oil plug coulda come out. What I do know, is the exhaust headers are notorious for leaking, and causing ticking. Quite annoying. Usually that noise manifests itself under load. Then there's the "center collar " issue. Might check into that.

If it sets for a week, what does it sound like in the first second of running? (the time it takes to get your finger off the starter button) Lots of rattle?, then instantly gone?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

First thought was post ignition, but it could be the quality at which I hear it, since it also changed when you accelerated.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I also ran an open-tube stethescope around the exhaust on both heads - not a puff. I'll see what I can do about another recording, but the little MP3 has no mike jack - just a hole on the end of it. I know there is a lot of wind noise at these speeds, so I had it in my pocket to try to muffle a lot of that. Of course I muffled everything else along with it. I even had a piece of tape over the mike hole to cut the volume some, because the thing has too much gain and was overloading itself. I think if I run at higher sound quality, though (this was at 64 kbps) it might have more headroom.

Maybe I can duct tape it somewhere under the engine covers. Maybe the covers will knock down wind noise. I could try it in my helmet, cause it sure sounds too loud in there!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
If it sets for a week, what does it sound like in the first second of running? (the time it takes to get your finger off the starter button) Lots of rattle?, then instantly gone?
Haven't listened for that, but haven't been attracted by an odd sound on start-up. She seems to just fire and idle. Don't ever remember an idle then, but will listen in future. I plan to check the exhaust again. I don't have a spare set of exhaust gaskets or I'd go ahead and pull and replace. Guess I should go ahead and order a set. Hope the studs behave. I was able to get ~ 1/12th turn on one, but I'll wait until they have soaked a few days when I finally attempt to pull them. I've been bit by broken exhaust studs too many times.

What about the joints to the collector? Have they been known to give problems?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

pidjones wrote:
Oregonwinger wrote:
Haven't listened for that, but haven't been attracted by an odd sound on start-up. She seems to just fire and idle. Don't ever remember an idle then, but will listen in future. I plan to check the exhaust again. I don't have a spare set of exhaust gaskets or I'd go ahead and pull and replace. Guess I should go ahead and order a set. Hope the studs behave. I was able to get ~ 1/12th turn on one, but I'll wait until they have soaked a few days when I finally attempt to pull them. I've been bit by broken exhaust studs too many times.

What about the joints to the collector? Have they been known to give problems?
Pidjones, blow compressed air into the rear of the mufflers (stuff a rag around the nozzle to seal it).. Then look for air exiting the exhaust joints & gaskets..

Is that noise ONLY on slight accelload, or can you get it by revving to 5000-6000 RPM's then killing the engine & coasting back down through the RPM range in high gear?..

Usually valve train noise will be there at all loads while a combustion knock or spark induced knock will only be there on load, pull, or light accel..

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Glad you brought that up. My Interstate's joint seals are perfect at 90k. My LTD joints fell into a million pieces at 72k (or before). And that leaves a big gap. Those seals are thick. Look like a dbbl length cam bushing, only made out of a graphite/asbestos material. It did sound like hell. Run it, and have somebody cap the exhausts, both at once, and listen at joint.That'll tell a lot. I actually got them from Service Honda. Also, run it a bit, under load,and then stop, and quickly feel the four 3/8 chrome pipes inder the throttle body, that go into heads. Looking for a warm to hotone, indicating bad reed valve. I wish I could hear the actual sound. My stereo didn't tell me much.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Forcast is for decent riding weather again Friday, so maybe I can get some more sounds cuts then. I'll be busy tomorrow night, but I'll do some more exhaust joint inspection Thursday night. Maybe get a chance to decarbon by then (wait until it gets dark so they don't see the smoke).

Twisty, it does seem that it only is there on accelerationload or light float. May be there under heavy load and I can't hear it. Quiet as a mouse on decel. Fairly quiet until it warms up (~2 miles), which could mean anything but points me more to hot carbon.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

On the principal that Honda flat petrol engines are very similar regardless of the number of cylinders, I will share this with you:

I just changed the headers, gaskets, collector box seals and refurbed the muffler on my GL1000 which had the same kind of ticking/tapping knock on acceleration. It drove me nuts.

The noise has now gone!!

The headers had pinholes the size of, well, -pins in them. All in the difference is amazing. Now starts and idles spot on too.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I concur, Wingcommander. I love the sound of a 100% tight exhaust.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

The various symptoms ofworn out exhaust seem to creep up un noticed. And because its often a real pain to remove and sort out these things get left longer than they should.

:action:

I have to say I think that a reference libraryof Mp3, .Wav and other DECENT recordingsof wings at idle and under load would be a great addition to this site and might (stress might) put a lot of minds at rest, or prompt much discussion.

I'dbe happyto volunteer my services as head librarian if theres enough interest.

Maybe the forum gurus can suggest how to progress this idea??

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Wingcommander wrote:
I have to say I think that a reference libraryof Mp3, .Wav and other DECENT recordingsof wings at idle and under load would be a great addition to this site and might (stress might) put a lot of minds at rest, or prompt much discussion.

I'dbe happyto volunteer my services as head librarian if theres enough interest.

Maybe the forum gurus can suggest how to progress this idea??

That's a great idea and very original. Maybe if some of us recorded the sound of our engines and sent them to the wingnut, he would store them with the video clips so that we could download them.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

The noise sounds like it goes away when you throttle up and when you go to down shift. That sure sounds like a bad wrist pin. Usually, the noise will not manifest itself unless you are cruising or just "floating" the throttle upwards as you mentioned. Under a moderate to higher load, it will disappear till you ease up off the throttle. Try this, get the engine warm, then set it on the center stand and leave it in neutral. Start the engine and slowly run the RPMs upwards, just don't over-rev. If you hear it, use a stethescope while someone holds it at the RPM that the noise starts. You should be able to locate which cylinder with that noise going on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.