Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been seduced after test riding a '97 SE.

That deal fell through due to a not very realistic sales person who offered me less than half what others are getting for earlier versions of my Wee-Strom, and still holding his "over the mark" price on the SE.

My Mrs is a cancer survivor but is still suffering post chemotherapy fatigue, she is scared she will fall off the back of the Strom when she falls asleep during a ride, hence the need for a wrap around back rest- plus or minus the arm rest add ons.

Originally I was looking at ordinary cruisers, but I think the 'Wing is a better option now that I've ridden one.

My questions are:

Aspencade or SE? (is there anything that makes the SE the better choice?)

How far back from '97 should I go? (reverse gear is a must for me, where were the most important upgrades made in the years/models range?)

What was the last year of the GL1500 Goldwing? (at this stage I don't think I want to go to the GL1800).

What are the other model variants in them? (not including the Valkyrie, tried sitting on one, the 'Wing feels/suits the needs better).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ock. (in Oz)
(aka Steve)

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
1500s were produced from '88 to 2k. Some of the earlier ones had an issue with transmissions. The SE was the top of the line and had all the bells and whistles including reverse.

Lots of great info and knowledgeable people on this site to help steer you in the right direction. Don't be afraid of a bike with lots of miles on the clock if it hasn't been wrecked and has been well maintained.

Welcome to world of Goldwinging and to this site.

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
297 Posts
93 got needle bearings on the rocker arms, the Interstates have no reverse or intercom, but a lower seat and were at least 40 pounds lighter.

In 95, they all got lower seats.

I think in 97, they got the Valkrye transmission and other engine parts.

Around, 98 or 99 they got different exhaust tips. One of these years, they had white face gauges. Must have been 99s, as it was only one year, and then they went back to black face gauges.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
Someone may have to correct me but I think the main difference between an aspy and SE is the SE came with a CB radio and a fancier paint job.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, in reading the History link-

I'm better off trying to find a '97 model or later it would seem [stronger engine and drivetrain internals].

But I have a lead on a '93 that appears to be in good order, approx. 160,000 kms [100,000 miles] on it.
Former Ulysses owner, so probably well maintained- should I be concerned that it has been used to tow a trailer? [has a tow bar fitted to it]

By Australian standards the price is reasonable [about double what you guys in the US would pay for one :sadguy: ].

Should I consider the '93 or hang out for a '97 still though?

Edit;
Hi Lloyd, thanks PM reply sent.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
If you can -- the newer the better, my '96 (260,000 km) has pulled a trailer (see My Garage) all over N America & still going strong. :waving:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The history link Bob posted has all the differences listed. Personally I would try avoid 1993-94 as some of them give 4th gear problems.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The SE has some added features that may benefit your Passenger, like the added adjustable foot rest. Although it shouldn't make or break a deal as you can add them later to any bike, a little different way of movement, but they are changeable.

If the price is right and maintenance has been performed (via records) then I would not hesitate to buy an older 1500, i.e. 88 to 92. For some reason, it would seem the 94 is most prone to the transmission issue. Maybe it's a percentage thing if there were more 94's built than other years.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
There isn't much of a difference between the 97 Aspy and the SE, just a few add ons. The white faced gages were installed on the 98 and 99 models. The SE's had lighted control switches, spoiler on the truck, adjustable passenger foot rest and two tone paint (except for the black model). I don't recall the CB being a stock item on the SE's, but maybe it was.
The wiring harness on both bikes are the same, it isn't hard to add all of the SE's add ons to an Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
So, in reading the History link-

I'm better off trying to find a '97 model or later it would seem [stronger engine and drivetrain internals].

But I have a lead on a '93 that appears to be in good order, approx. 160,000 kms [100,000 miles] on it.
Former Ulysses owner, so probably well maintained- should I be concerned that it has been used to tow a trailer? [has a tow bar fitted to it]

By Australian standards the price is reasonable [about double what you guys in the US would pay for one :sadguy: ].

Should I consider the '93 or hang out for a '97 still though?

Edit;
Hi Lloyd, thanks PM reply sent.
Trailer should be no issue at all, and just because it has a hitch does not really mean it's been pulling a trailer either. Many people just use a hitch to carry a small rack which holds like a ice chest cooler or such. Maybe ask about the use of the hitch, like ask how well it pulled the trailer and what size or weight and see what you get as answer. Kinda just ask as if you might be thinking of pulling one yourself. Heck they may toss in a nice one for free to make the sale if they have one LOL

Most transmission issues seemed to have been at lower miles, like my 95 had a bad 4th gear when I bought it and only 32K miles on the bike then.
My 88 had tons of miles and no issues and ran like new when hit by a deer at 180,000 miles!

Another thing about hitches, my 88 did not have a hitch when bought, I don't know if it ever did before or not at anytime. I put a hitch on it near soon as I bought it, I never used the hitch in all the miles I rode the bike!
I had planned to pull a trailer, but I never did, so maybe 15K miles with a hitch but the hitch was never used so who cares?

My 95 did not have a hitch either when bought and 4th gear was already out at 32K miles, I don't think it ever had a hitch, but I put one on in less than 1K miles of owning it, and for over 10K miles it was never used either! I just used it recently to make a big trip with big trailer, about 1800 miles each way! Way out was a somewhat heavy trailer, way back was a very very heavy trailer as I was hauling most of a 1500 goldwing on the trailer, and with no 4th gear I still had no real problems pulling any mountains or anything on the 1800 mile ride home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.

I will do some searching here to see what the most common fourth gear fault is and what is involved in fixing it [my luck would be to buy a bike that rides well then throws fourth 2,000 km's after me buying it, right in the middle of my first decent long ride on it :sadguy: ].

I would be happy with AM-FM stereo/cd player, but I think they only came with AM-FM stereo/tape player didn't they?

The SE I rode had four speakers, does the Asp have two or four- or either depending on what the original purchaser ordered?

Tow bar is not a requirement for me but it would not rule a prospective bike out if it had one, I understand that most don't do a lot of towing.
In the future I would possibly consider getting a camper trailer to tow behind it anyway.

Good info, keep your opinions and thought coming.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the 99 SE. The CB is stock as far as I know. I bought it with high miles (145K) and brake pads and rotors were a must repair on mine. I did other repairs just for piece of mind...belts, fluids, filters, rebuit shocks, & lube. I am about to roll 154,000 now and I love it!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I would be happy with AM-FM stereo/cd player, but I think they only came with AM-FM stereo/tape player didn't they? Steve
Steve, It's your call but IMHO forget the CD player and have the existing radio converted to accept a good MP3 player. It just works better and sure takes a lot less room. Also some of the players can hold more music then you would ever carry in CD format. Sierra Electronics does a great job converting the 1500 radio, at what I feel is a reasonable price. Good people there too who will gladly answer any questions. Not affiliated with them, just a happy customer. Here is a link.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp

Conversion Link
http://www.sierra-mc.com/gl1500auxinput.html

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
The SE's also have the vent control on right side of dash to let air in for bottom vents...i also recommend getting the SE ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.