1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sea Foam...
Anyone heard of it?
I used some in my bike this afternoon. A bike shop recommended it to me for cleaning out sluggish jets in the carbs of my GL1500 Goldwing.
No miracles as yet. Will keep you posted!

Goldwinger Steve

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nope:ShakeHead: ...... never heard of the stuff! :coollep:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I bought a can of it from a Canadian Tire store here in the city.
It comes with a guarantee, it has to work!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I've been using the stuff for years. I run it in everything I own. I've had cases where some of the bikes I bought ran a little rough when I first got them,but after a few tanks of fuel treated with Seafoam they straighted out. I buy it locally by the gallon. You may get some folks who don't like it but it's never been anything but good to me. I run about 2ozs in the Goldwing every other tank. I put about 4 in my cars and trucks and about 2 in my mower fuel. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback on this stuff.
It's $12 cdn. well spent!

Steve ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger Steve wrote:
Sea Foam...
Anyone heard of it?
No miracles as yet.

Goldwinger Steve
WELCOME to the Family, Steve. You're the 63rd member from Toronto.

I HAVE heard of it. As to miracles, I've heard that if you rub it on your joints it will alleviate arthritis. :?

If you do a search on the Forum Search engine I think there's even a guy (CJ, maybe?) that claims it cured his baldness! :ROFL:

Seriously, though, the stuff does work. Most of us have stories that back up the stuff. Can be used as an alternative to Stabil when you pack it away for winter. I poured a whole can into every tank when I picked up my '97 from Georgia. Was idling so rough that I thought I might have to have the carbs done when I got it to Canada. Nope. Ran like a charm by the time I got it home. Seemed to make the most noticeable difference when allowed to sit in the carbs overnight.

You won't be disappointed.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Me think Dusty has been on the road too long :)

Could take several treatments if the carbs are really plugged and if they are really really bad contact http://www.randakks.com/Master%20Price%20Catalog.htm#11
ya .... I was just teasing you.

Do a search and you'll find lots of testimonies on the stuff.

If you have a plugged carb, or passages, I'd dump a whole can in a tank and fill up the tank and let it run for a while and then let it sit overnight. Then take it out for a good run until you are down to the reserve, then dump in a half can and repeat as needed.

I bought 2 cans at Crappy Tire 4-5 weeks ago, when they had it on sale for 20, or 30% off. :cheesygrin:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi. Heheheheh!! No probs.

I filled the bike up nearly full, then I put in about a quater of the bottle of this Sea Foam. I was a little nervous about putting in too much... ??

Steve

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Run a full can in first tank then a half for your second tank. It will clean the carbs up if you use it. it may take a few treatments before they are clean.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Seafoam is a petroleum product and will not hurt your engine. I've heard of guys running it straight in their chainsaws to clean them out. A whole can in a tank of gas will only do it good.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger Steve wrote:
Hi. Heheheheh!! No probs.

I filled the bike up nearly full, then I put in about a quater of the bottle of this Sea Foam. I was a little nervous about putting in too much... ??

Steve
Yeah, we tend to use it a bit more then the suggested amount :ROFL:

We do this to clean out gunked up carbs... then after you go back to maybe a couple of ounces every other tank to keep her running good. Like has been suggested, I've never seen problems with a whole can in the first tank if needed. BUT... you do have to be careful of what fuel filter is in place. Emco I believe is a brand that that seafoam may disolve the glue that hold the filter element in place. If this happens then you got more junk finding it's way into the carbs.
Hope this cleans your jets up and you see a good improvement soon.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome GW Steve,
Dusty is just wiggling your wires ., the big Seafoam thing is an old tried and true US product that is being introduced into Canada and does the same thing as what Canadian Tire has been selling for years as " engine flush " and its mostly naptha and does the job of cleaning out the varnish and other nasties that accumulate in a motor with miles on it. Be sure to follow the directions on the can especially if you use it as an engine flush.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I've only recently heard of this "Sea Foam"... when I recently started reading these forums again. I might have to try some in my 1100... Is it available in the US? If so whos a distributor? Thanks.. Good Question, and one I've been looking for answers on myself. :)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

It is available in the US, Autozone, O'Rileys, Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA, Walmart,Meijer, and others. Watch for the Sales, I sometimes pick it up for $6.00 a can or less.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I bought mine in Toronto.
A place called Canadian Tire store.

This is a great forum, thanks to everyone for their feedback to my question!!!!

Happy Riding!
Steve

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

In upstate NY WalMart is selling it for $8something a can. I have poured it right into the carb on a gummed up tractor till it smokes and chokes the engine out. Let it sit a bit and restart, it works quite well.

Last year I started using it instead of stabil for winter storage too.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Hey GW Steve,

Seafoam will help clean your carbs as the guys have suggested.

What make you think you have 'sluggishjets'?

Have you found that the performance of your bike has deteriorated since being is storage, or perhaps have you discovered the dreaded GL1500 'hesitation'?

The reason I ask is that I recently got an '89 GL1500 and discovered that these bikes are known to have a hesitation or dead spot. I ran Seafoam through mine and saw some improvement, but I still have a hesitation. If you are experiencing something similar, you may need to consider new jets or a 'trigger wheel'. I have purchased both, but I am learning to live with the hesitation while waiting for an opportunity to pull the bike apart!!

Good luck. Welcome to the forum and I hope the Seafoam works for you.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Oops!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.