Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi everybody and merry christmas just had to tell my story on sea foam. my 1200 was missing . popping and you name it. ran very bad. well .here is what i did. i shut off fuel and ran it till the gas was mostly out of carbs.i then unhooked the fuel pump hose to carbs. i used a oil can to put the sea foam in hose to carbs.by a oil can i mean oiler type can which you pump oil in small holes .i then let it set 30 minutes . i then hooked the fuel hose back up to bike. it will take a little time to clear the carbs ,but my bike runs like a new bike now. well,almost new. this is very good stuff. happy new year hoghideman

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Seafoam is easy to make for a lot cheaper than you can buy it. Ingredients are naphtha, isopropanol, pale oil. Naphtha is also known as Coleman Fuel, white gas, lighter fluid. Isopropanol is rubbing alcohol. Pale oil is just light oil.

I take one gallon of Coleman Fuel and add a quart bottle of 91% (the rest is dissolved water) rubbing alcohol from the drug store. No need for the oil if you're going to be using it in carbs although you could add a half pint of 2 cycle oil if lubrication is needed.

Q

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I picked up a 1976 honda 750 last year that would barely run. I put a can of Seafom in the gas tank and took it for a ride. 30 minutes later the bike was purring like a kitten.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've used it for years & is one of those A+ products. I put 1/4 can for winter, it keeps gas 100% + cleans the system every spring. thencomes another 4 oz in mid summer.

It works in both ny bikes, weed whacker, & v-twin lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Has anyone tried it in the crankcase? Will it hurt the clutch. What will help with noise? I traded for a 85 aspencade about 3 days ago and it seems kind of noisy. Is that normal? Cant't tell if its transmissoin, belts or engine?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

jrs60371 wrote:
Has anyone tried it in the crankcase? Will it hurt the clutch. What will help with noise? I traded for a 85 aspencade about 3 days ago and it seems kind of noisy. Is that normal? Cant't tell if its transmissoin, belts or engine?
Works great in the oil and won't hurt the clutch.

See the Sea Foam Chronicles in the FAQ FORUM.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I've used it mixed into the gas on both my wing and my 84 700 Sabre,with marginal results.I didn't think to try it straight.Hmmm...

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

There have been times, with some bikes, I put the entire can in the fuel tank. Then, rode it until near empty & refilled the tank with 87 octane. WOW!

I run about 4 ounces in the crankcase for about 75 miles, just before my 3 month oil changes. Been doing it for years & it's great.

Bike is in the garage for most of the winter now, with 4 oz Seafoam to keep fuel stabilized, another 4oz in the lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

So the seafoam works? What about for fuel injected? My runs fine but I want to keep the injecter clean

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

Works great for injectors. They traded for a car at work that had injector problems and were going to wholesale it. I talked the used car manager into putting a can of Seafoam in a tank of gas and drive it a while. It straightened up and ran perfect.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
Seafoam is easy to make for a lot cheaper than you can buy it. Ingredients are naphtha, isopropanol, pale oil. Naphtha is also known as Coleman Fuel, white gas, lighter fluid. Isopropanol is rubbing alcohol. Pale oil is just light oil.

I take one gallon of Coleman Fuel and add a quart bottle of 91% (the rest is dissolved water) rubbing alcohol from the drug store. No need for the oil if you're going to be using it in carbs although you could add a half pint of 2 cycle oil if lubrication is needed.

Q
This should be moved to a more easily found location. I'll leave that to somebody more knowledgeable than me.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

cycleman-

It's already been copied into "The Sea Foam Chronicles" which can be found in the FAQ forum.

Good Minds think alike :action:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

My man Q has a clue. U R daman. That is great.

I am glad someone has identified an alternate source.

SeaFoam is way to expensive at ~$6 - $8 for a 16 oz can. You(Q) are the first that I have seen that has attempted to use an alternativecheep solution. Good Job.

I agree with your statement on the pale oil, and I figure it was some sort of "filler", but it can be used in the crankcase.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=49356&forum_id=1&highlight=naptha

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=49417&forum_id=1&highlight=naptha

I figure the IPA is good for water absorption, so for me that would leave straight naphtha that is a good solvent.

I need to check the hardware store for naphtha and coleman fuel. With the price of a barrel of oil, its hard to figure what the true price of these solvents should be. I would guess ~ < $10 gallon.

Problem for me is I do not use the stuff, but it is good info to know and can save many a lot of $$$.

Now, ifyou can convince everyone toswitch products, but that's called marketing.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Seafoam didn't clean out my GL1100 carbs. I think there is a limit to what it can and can not do. Jets had to be removed.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Sea Foam is not a panacea for everything that can go wrong with a carburetor.

But if what is wrong can be dissolved and gotten out of there, it usually works pretty good.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

Hi John,
Where can you buy Sea Foam here around Mesa?
Gene

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

If you havAutoZone there in Mesa they sell it but you have to ask because there do not keep it with the oils and cleaners. They usually have it a place of by itself. Just go to the counter and ask for Seafoam. I used it and it works really good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.