Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is not Necesarily Gold wing related. I have been using Sea Foam in my bike & even did the Mystery oil thing with the crankcase. Now I noticed that Sea Foam makes a Trans Tune for automatic transmissions. Heres the non wing part. I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota that the transmission has a bad whine to it. Since I had good luck with the bike I thought I might try this Trans Tune in the truck & see if it would help. Anybody have any experience with this product & the results. Thanks.

Oh by the way the bike is an 82 GL1100I (LOL)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

outlawearl wrote:
This is not Necesarily Gold wing related. I have been using Sea Foam in my bike & even did the Mystery oil thing with the crankcase. Now I noticed that Sea Foam makes a Trans Tune for automatic transmissions. Heres the non wing part. I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota that the transmission has a bad whine to it. Since I had good luck with the bike I thought I might try this Trans Tune in the truck & see if it would help. Anybody have any experience with this product & the results. Thanks.
outlawearl, not knowing what's in Sea Foam trans tune it's hard to make a qualified judgement but most trans tune products I'm familiar with contain seal & "O" ring softeners. Those can help a leaking trans or help the piston "O" ring seals seal a little better so the shift could improve a little. Problem is: most of those seal conditioners don't know when to stop so eventually they allow seal or "O" ring degradation.

In any case, all of those trans tune type products I'm familiar with would have no effect on a trans gear whine. If your whine is due to a primary pump sucking air or cavitating then it's possible that product would help (for a while).

No auto manufacturer that I know of would recommend a product like that be added to their trans & in some of the testing I was involved with some of those type products actually caused long term trans damage.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Put some (Trans -Med)in a Ford Ranchero years ago and it actually worked! Stop the big leak and had it shifting better and lasted for 7 more years!

I might of got lucky?!:baffled:

But keep in mind this was a 78 , some of the newer tranny's are very touchy, even about the kind of Tranny fluid you use!

My Toyota has to have a specific kind or kablam !

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

This is non Wing related too. I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota and I noticed the tranny would buzz a bit when put in reverse when cold in cool weather. I may need to check into this stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to the gold wing dodge dokato sight... lol... my 99 dakota has a little occasional whine when shifting... but until it is broke I aint fixing it (and I do service the transmission regularly)!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The back of the can says that it should be put in right before you change the fluid & filter, so I assume it can't stay in very long. I think I better call a tranny place to see what they say but I think I know the answer. $$$$$$

I'll keep all the Goldwing Dakota owners informed.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

outlawearl wrote:
The back of the can says that it should be put in right before you change the fluid & filter, so I assume it can't stay in very long. I think I better call a tranny place to see what they say but I think I know the answer. $$$$$$

I'll keep all the Goldwing Dakota owners informed.
outlawearl , if your whine is a pump growl then possibly just a trans fluid & filter change will help ( a plugged trans filter will restrict flow & cause it to suck air). If you have an actual gear or planetary noise then probably nothing but replacement parts will help. The good news is most gear or planetary noise isn't terminal & will run a long time like that.

Twisty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.