Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since this seems to be the place to answer my probably dumb questions, what exactly is Sea foam ? First I ever heard it mentioned is in reading the forum. Is it some type of dry gas or stabalizer?:?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Its MAGIC!!!
It keeps your fuel system clean , cleans out the gunk and stuff , also can go in the oil. Makes it run better. about 7.00 a can. Great for any gas burning contraption, especially a multi-carbed one. Available at most any auto parts or wally-mart store.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
imported post

The primary ingredient is Naphtha. One of the guys on the forum is a chemist and he found the specifics of it. If you go to the FAQ forum, there is a thread there titled:

The Sea Foam Chronicles.

Lots of interesting reading there for you.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

It's naphtha aka. lighter fluid or coleman lantern fuel. Isopropanol aka isopropal alcohol, rubbing alcohol. and pale oil aka light mineral oil.

I mix my own. Much cheaper and seems to work just as well.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Q, what is your race fuel formula, and how much would you estimate your concoction costs for 16oz in comparison to SeaFoam?

Pale oil ~ mineral spirits. Good, I did not know that.

I was sort of thinking of using naphtha straight. Also, I believe naphtha is usedas an octane booster?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

In November of 07 I sent Seafoam a email about some damage I had observed inside a carb after using their product. This response clearly defines a difference between their product and regular NAPTHA. I would advise against any home brews. This is their response make your own decisions.

"Rest assured Sea Foam DID NOT have an affect on any PLASTICS.

Our component "residue reliquifier" is derived from the NAPHTHA FAMILY of oil byproducts, but is not the same as is used in industrial solvents, so Sea Foam has NO AFFECT on plastics, rubber, gaskets, o-rings and the like.

Most commonly used cleaners similar to "Chevron Techron" are of this type, (more refined than naphtha alone is, and are refined for specific purposes)and are safe and commonly used in some of your every day fuels. Our cleaner is referred to as Naphtha based, but NOT NAPHTHA!

Commonly available carb cleaners (spray and liquid) some penetrating oils, and "cure All" fuel system products contain CHEMICALS that will damage and melt plastics of all types.
Toluene, zylene, acetone, ketone and benzene and others are examples of these chemicals. Sea Foam contains NO CHEMICALS!!!!!!!

Look Elsewhere for the culprit! I have plastics, gaskets, 0-rings, seals and other carb componentssitting in gasoline, Gas/ oil mixes and diesel fuels both straight and with Sea Foam that are undamaged after several YEARS of testing! "

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Reading their response, They lost me at 'Sea Foam contains NO CHEMICALS'

I thought that is all that Sea Foam was. HA

Anyway, It is a great product. I have used it serveral times and did not see much change, but last month I bought a can for the wife's bike that had not be run for several months so I dumped the other half in my SEI.

Anyone who has a 85 or 86 fuel inj knows that over time the gunk builds up on the throttle valves and you have to set up the idle. Well after most of that tank I had to set the idle back down. Must have done quick work of cleaning.

Yes I have used Chevron Techtron before and it did not help like the Sea Foam did.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

When I read my can of sea foam, it says its a petroleum product. I guess it was made to cut gum and varnish in marine engines.But doesn't know a bike motor from a boat motor. I've had good luck with it and first read about it on this site.,

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Now that we are on the subjexct. WHat are DEER ALERTS????

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I mixed some for myself and tried it in my 91 accord and it did wonders for it. 1 1/4 gallon approximately after mixing cost about the same as 2 cans of seafoam.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

... Most commonly used cleaners similar to "Chevron Techron" are of this type, (more refined than naphtha alone is, and are refined for specific purposes)and are safe and commonly used in some of your every day fuels. Our cleaner is referred to as Naphtha based, but NOT NAPHTHA! ...
That was an interesting response. I now wonder what is a Naphtha base substance. I thought that the petroleum hydrocarbon chains were long and broken down to simplierchainssuch as Naphtha. But now, there seems to be something more or less than just Naphtha, or that Naphtha is not really Naphtha.

Are there any chemists or anyone knowledgeable in the petro chemical distillation that can confirm this.Is there such a thing as a Naphtha family?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.