Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Didn't try it in the bike...no problems there at the moment, but the wife's '01 Chevy Prizm (Toyota 1800cc)has been using a quart of oil every week (~200 miles) since we've owned it. There were ~40k miles on it when we got it; ~65k now, I think.

I tried some stuff called Auto-Rx, twice, but there was only slight improvement. :(

Last week I tried that SeaFoam stuff in the crankcase, and now...1 week later I check the oil and it is right up there, exactly where it was a week ago! I AM impressed. I'm supposed to change the oil/filter when it starts to look dirty, but so far it looks good.:3sum:

I've never believed that anything"miraculous" (automotive) could come in a can... now I stand corrected... :weightlifter:

I am retired, and have no financial or other business interest in this...or any other products of any kind. This is only intended to help you "fence-sitters" out there to gain a little more confidence in the stuff...and try it if you're having specific issues, which could be rings set in (coked-up), or fuel system deposits, moisture, etc. :waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Interesting, but I don't see how something that cleans your system could stop oil usage. If anything one would think it would increase it by cleaning up areas of leakage that were blocked by buildup before.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Interesting, but I don't see how something that cleans your system could stop oil usage. If anything one would think it would increase it by cleaning up areas of leakage that were blocked by buildup before.
Believe me, I know exactly what you're saying, Rudy. But the car never did smoke or leave puddles and it has always started crisply and idled & ran excellent. It does not act like a worn engine at all. Just the tailpipe is really black & sooty.

Did quite a bit of Forums research on that model, and oil consumption complaints came up a lot, from the '98 thru '04 Models, if memory serves. Once in awhile, a self-proclaimed Toyota/Chevy mechanic would add a post about tearing a few down, to discover the oil rings to be "coked up" and pretty much set in their grooves. One of 'em mentioned that something there (pistons/rings?) was redesigned at some point to correct the problem. :baffled:

I ain't gonna' look a gift horse in the mouth...at least not today. :cooldevil: Six bucks is better than a tear-down...IF it works! :3sum:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Could it be dirty oil control rings, which do a better job once cleaned up? I have no idea, just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

As most of you know, just few months back we had ourselves a really nasty hurricane, some areas will never totaly recover, and others very slowly at best...OK weather report and progress report over....Now onto the gist of the virtues, and adventuresof SEAFOAM....

We bought out side a Home Depot several years ago a display model generator, cheap, and had never used it, then three years ago we had a hurricane named Rita miss us just enough to take out our power lines for three weeks.....I changed the break in oil out of this generator, filled it gas and oil, and we had power....

Fast forward to hurricane Ike.....We lost power and I pulled out my practically new generator out of storage, only to find out its been setting there in storage ....with oldgas in the tank....refilled with fresh gas..it finally cranks on about 10th pull, then runs like crap....pulled bowl of carburetor, yup full of trash, cleaned and at last back together...cranks but won't stay running....throwing wrenches into back yard.....Then I remember that I have a can of Seafoam I had bought for my Wing....Dump entire can into gas....shake generator to mix......Pull start rope it cranks ...then it dies.....by now I'm ready to just suffer with no A/C or fans, just give me a flashlight and a few candles.....

One more try and it cranks ....but this time it starts running real strong and then it smoothed out and ran like a stripped ape.....It never gave us another second of trouble for 13 days......I put a total of1 1/2cans of sea foam inthe gas and1/2 can in the oil......Stuff is worth its weight in gold........

Claude......

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

wapaloosie wrote:
Carbon build up in rings
Yup, I second this idea also. The Sea Foam dissolved the carbon and then the rings started doing what they were designed to do.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I tried the B-12 and Seafoam. Personally I like the Seafoam in a couple of tanks each month. In my own little world it keeps the carbs clean and helps with carbon build up. Bike always seems to run better during those few tanks. All in my head? I dont know but it works for me so I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Its good stuff running about $8.00 a can here. JR

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys. Hadn't thought of that.
Makes good sense.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Rudy, if the oil usage was caused by stuck pistonrings or valves that were not seating properly then indeed a chemical that reduces carbon buildup will stop the oil that is passing the rings or the valves from burning.....hmmmm....I have a cherry BMW k100rs that has over 100k on it and is smoking on startup...think I will test this miracle in a can...regards Larry

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

Betcha that K100RS learns how to be thrifty with oil again :grinner: :dude:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

Over the Winter, I put SeaFoam in my Goldwing Fuel Tank and once every two months while riding I put B-12 into the Tank to keep the water out of the fuel.

It been keeping my fuel clean.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I put Seafoam in my tank.....and two weeks later, my ex-wife went to jail, my stocks went up, and I won the Humptulips, Washington, lottery....(free laundry service for life)..... pretty good stuff, that Seafoam......

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

i use it all the time in small engine repair work great in weedeaters chainsaws and mower even diseal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.