Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After reading a lot about seafoam, and traveling to usa this weekend to the border rally of the state of tamaulipas (border from laredo texas to brownsville texas) went to laredo's walmart and bought a couple of cans of seafoam. used 6 oz on a full tank, my carbs were rebuilt almost 9 months ago but i could tell it was running smoother, well i would like to use it directly on the carbs to clean the cylinder, so i was wondering how many oz per carb?? is this recommended?. i was told by a friend that if you clean the carbon of the cylinder, it will lose compression as the carbon works as a seal and will get oil thru rings and will mess up with my engine. same as i use it on the oil...

so is it safe to clean the carbon build up on the piston, rings and valves??

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

William_86,

I cannot answer that question directly, because I would not want to give you the wrong advice, but heres what I do to keep mine clean. I just use Shell 93 Octane fuel in my 1980 Wing. It will clean the carbon deposits off of your Intake andExaust valves roughtly around 3,000 miles or less, depending on the buildup, and it to me is the safest way. I also believe "Any fast way" other than new valves, and having the heads taken off and cleaned, is dangerous to your enging, but thats my 2 cents, unless it is a critical buildup, and you are loosing compression.

I have also noted and wrote down my mileage to compare it with the regular gasline, and I get much better milleage. I also believe the heaver the motor oil, the most likely and faster carbon buldup will occur, but I may be wrong there. but stick with the recommended oil. I personally use Chevron Delo15W40 Oil in my Wing. It comes in a blue 1 gallon container. It exceeds all of Honda's specs! (It will say "Diesel" on the gallon container, but do not be afraid of it) It's the best for olderGoldwing.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

William_86 wrote:
After reading a lot about seafoam, and traveling to usa this weekend to the border rally of the state of tamaulipas (border from laredo texas to brownsville texas) went to laredo's walmart and bought a couple of cans of seafoam. used 6 oz on a full tank, my carbs were rebuilt almost 9 months ago but i could tell it was running smoother, well i would like to use it directly on the carbs to clean the cylinder, so i was wondering how many oz per carb?? is this recommended?. i was told by a friend that if you clean the carbon of the cylinder, it will lose compression as the carbon works as a seal and will get oil thru rings and will mess up with my engine. same as i use it on the oil...

so is it safe to clean the carbon build up on the piston, rings and valves??

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The follow the mixing directions on the can adjust for 1/2 gallon. Mix it up in a plastic container. Pull the intake tube from the #3 carb or off the flue pump, hook a tube up to the intake or tube, put a funnel on the end of the tube, drain or run all the carbs dry, now pour the mix into the funnel and fill the carbs with the mix. When the funnel stays full the carbs are full. Now run the bike until the mix in the funnel is gone..you now have the mix in your carbs and have worked it through the intakes as well.

As to the mix..some do this with a 50/50 or greater gas/seafoam mix. I am not recommending that because I don't want to be responsible for any problems. But I have done it 50/50 and had no problems. If you want to run more seafoam into the engine just keep filling the funnel. If you just want a heavy dose for the carbs you are set on the first go through. Let it sit over night and run it hooked back up to your tank in the morning.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Or just dump a whole can in the gas tank and ride it out.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

William, if you are talking about removing carbon from the engine cylinders, and I think you are.

Put the Sea Foam in the engine oil. Have you checked out the new Sea Foam Chronicles thread in the FAQ Forum? I believe this idea was in the 100% Happy thread.

Several have reported that it cleaned carbon off pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Hey William, I was in Laredo most of last week, and I have to go back there tomorrow as a matter of fact. Lots of trucks down there!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Yes Sir AZ,

I am planning to purchase some next month, and if it gets warmer, probably do it probably next month, as long as it is above 60.

Thanks,

David

AZgl1500 wrote:
William, if you are talking about removing carbon from the engine cylinders, and I think you are.

Put the Sea Foam in the engine oil. Have you checked out the new Sea Foam Chronicles thread in the FAQ Forum? I believe this idea was in the 100% Happy thread.

Several have reported that it cleaned carbon off pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

That's what I gave you instructions for direct into the carbs..You can do it that way with just seafoam but most feel 100% seafoam is not a good idea..but it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

SeaFoam is a very expensive gas additive.

IMO, once a carb is clean internally, there is no reason to use an additive even for PM.

In the old days of carbs, I never used any fuel additives. My main gripe was a color distortion to my spark plugs. I do not believe most people used such a product back then or today. If I had a problem back then, it was easy enough to take the carb apart. I sure do like carb cleaner sprays once inside a carb, but this is more direct cleaning once apart. I think it isnext best thing to apple pie.

Do not get me wrong. I do think SeaFoam is great stuff, and in certain situations it appears to be a cure all. Especially, over long periods of time.

But, other than piece of mind, do ya'll feel that todays gas causes problem with your carbs or fuel injection system. And, do you think that we maybe over using this product. My other vehicles have over +100k,+150k,+200 with no additives.

After a rebuild, I tend to stay away from all additives. I leave it up to the oil and gas companies.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

William;

I attended a symposium on motor oils a number of years ago and one thing that the keynote speaker pointed out was a caseof a large diesel engine (Cummins) that was the subject of a series of tests all connected with lubrication. This engine started out with zero hours and after several thousand hours of testing was burning a substantial amount of oil. The theory that your friend stated, about carbon being beneficial was held by some of the engineers involved in the test, so the engine was disassembled, cleaned carefully and reassembled with no new parts other than gaskets and seals. The result was a substantial reduction in oil consumption, and an slight increase in compression. The same operation was then performed on a Caterpillar and a Detroit Diesel (60 series) and the results were the same. The conclusion was that the carbon causes the rings to stick and loose efficiency, especially the oil control rings. So, the simple answeris no, removing the carbon will not hurt, it will help. On the other hand if your valve guide seals are shot it won't help you at all to be rid of the carbon.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Feetup. thanks for the info.

i injected seafoam directly on the intake of each carb and let it sit for 5-10 mins. used about 12.5 ml on each carb. then i started the engine. it smoked a lot for like 15 mins. then i went for a test ride, and i could feel a difference on the take offs and low rpm throttle response. definitely more power. engine idles smoother and has less delay when you accelerate. when you pull the throttle with no load. the rpms feel to increase faster than before. the exhaust cleared after 20 mins of city driving.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
i injected seafoam directly on the intake of each carb and let it sit for 5-10 mins. used about 12.5 ml on each carb. then i started the engine. it smoked a lot for like 15 mins. then i went for a test ride, and i could feel a difference on the take offs and low rpm throttle response. definitely more power. engine idles smoother and has less delay when you accelerate. when you pull the throttle with no load. the rpms feel to increase faster than before. the exhaust cleared after 20 mins of city driving.
Then Jesus appeared on the side of the road, nodding in approval. :dude:

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

If your looking at cleaning carbon off the pistons & valves. GM sells stuff called ring free that will do the same thing as seafoam.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy, you mean all I gotta do is throw down $7.95 in my gas tank. And to think I thought I might see him in church.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.