Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After using a bout 3 once in about 2 gallons of gas to clean my carbs , I noticed some white smoking on startup until it was gone . Now on the next full tank 87 octane and the engine isn't starting as quick after warmup. Before it started great and very quick. Could the seafome clean out foul the plugs? Thought it was suppose to be great stuff but seems to have made it harder to start. It idles and runs fine .

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

My guess is you didn't use enough, dislodged something in the intake and it went through to the combustion chamber. Don't be afraid of Seafoam. That stuff works well. Might try another dose.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would check the plugs, at least one. Seafoam IS great stuff, I use as much of it as I can afford. 3 oz in 2 gallons of gas will not do any harm at all, and certainly shouldn't cause smoking. I have run engines on pure Seafoam, by draining the gas out of the carbs, and filling them with Seafoam, then starting the engine. It will run rough, and you will have to keep the throttle open, and it will smoke like crazy, but it will run, for several seconds anyway. I did this to suck pure Seafoam into the jets. Seafoam contains naptha, and is flammable enough to fire in an engine. I have never noticed any harm from doing this, but, the smoke was very black, not at all white or blue/gray. There is nothing in Seafoam that could make smoke of that color.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Cloud 9, couldn't help but laugh at your avatar. The kid is actually safe as long as he doesn't try to stick something in both sides at once.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Not true... He is touching the floor. Most of the time when you shock yourself.. its just one wire that does it because your touching the floor. unless you have rubber sole shoes.

If you stick your finger in an electrical outlet, the current can maim or even kill you. The human body is an excellent conductor for electricity. Electricity is always looking for a quick and simple path to the ground. Because about 70 percent of a human body is made up of water, it's extremely easy for electricity to course through you in a matter of seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

and seafoam will not hurt anything...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I'd suggest a change of fuel filter. Never know what kind of gunk the Seafoam might have loosened up but not quite dissolved.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto wpgfire , Seafoam is a solvent and is great to purge the nasties out of carbs. etc. but it will also purge a loaded fuel filter .
I suggest to all that when using a solvent such as Seafoam to clean fuel systems and carbs. that you change out the fuel filter BEFORE and AFTER using the Seafoam .
For best results follow the directions on the can and let the stuff sit in the entire fuel system for a day to let it work its magic . Then run more through as you ride for the next while until you feel your motor is 100%.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
Not true... He is touching the floor. Most of the time when you shock yourself.. its just one wire that does it because your touching the floor. unless you have rubber sole shoes.

If you stick your finger in an electrical outlet, the current can maim or even kill you. The human body is an excellent conductor for electricity. Electricity is always looking for a quick and simple path to the ground. Because about 70 percent of a human body is made up of water, it's extremely easy for electricity to course through you in a matter of seconds.
Unless the floor is metal or some other conductive material (not likely) or is covered with water, he is insulated, and there will be no current flow. I have often used that method to find out if a 120V connection is hot, by holding the neutral side, and using the back of my hand to flip the wire. If you feel a buzz, it is hot. I have seen a couple of people that could grab both sides, and just hold onto it. Not me. I have been zapped by 250V through a 50 amp breaker a few times, and while my arm hurt for hours, I did not suffer any permanent damage. Electricity causes your muscles to contract, so you are really in trouble if you grab a hot wire with the front of your hand, your muscles will contract, and you won't be able to let go of it.

I guess I won't be using Seafoam in my LTD, I'd sure hate to plug up that $50 filter, and it is running fine. But I have never had any problems with it on any other motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

also, let Seafoam set in the carbs all night long, and by all means change the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

You can pass all the electricity you want thro your hand and it won't hurt you unless it fries some tissue. On the otherhand if you pass a small amount of current thro you body past your heart bad things happen. Being indoors on a wood or carpet floor he is sorta safe outside on the ground Not good.

Best to play safe as the crocadile hunter found out it's the unexpected that always get you

Wilf

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the advice. After a full tank it is back to quick starts. Guess it did clean out some nasties. I will change the fuel filter too just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.