Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Doing some research on seafoam before i pour it it to the tank I came across this on another site. Dont know if it is allowed to post a link to another forum here but this is a pretty damn good read. Guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has the data to back it up.Think I,ll toss the seafoam and make my wing a two stroker!! Ding Ding Ding ding

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I don't know what to think...the guy says ATF has Phosphorus in it :)?), kills Cat Converters, and has no lubricating abilities...:shock:

I don't think I'll follow him into battle just yet...and what with all the controversy here (and other forums) over most of the lubrication spectrum, I wonder if any of our GURUs even want to touch this...even with someone else's 'dipstick'?

I do know that some 2-stroke oils, mixed to engine mfg's specs, have a strong penchant for clogging exhaust ports (Lawn Boy is one in particular in mind)...not much cleaning going on there, I'm afraid :waving:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yeah the lubricant controversy has been going on since my grandpa's days and will prolly be going strong (er) theday the world ends!

After finding out the main ingredients in sea foam are Lighter fluid (naptha ) and rubbing alcohol , I decided against putting it in my machine's. I'm sure it has worked for others but just personal preferance not to use it.

Based on his testing he recomends a 500/1 mixture. I'm not knowledgeable on lubricating chemistry but at that ratio I dont think it can hurt much. Ive also had some clogged up two stroke mufflers but I believe that's due to the fact that by nature of conventional two stoke engines some raw oil is always present in the muffler. At 500/1 i dont think the oil is going to find its way into the exhaust.

Anyway I,m game for a great sales pitch so I'll volunteer to be a test mule. I,m going to start running 1.oz of tcw-3 two stroke oil per gallon of gasoline in the 1500. I'll report back either way. RIIIING DING DING DING DING!

·
Administrator
27,904 Posts
imported post

It couldn't hurt anything and he might be right. That's a 640 to 1 ratio according to my calculator. If I can remember to I might just pick up a quart, pint, whatever of that stuff and try it myself.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
imported post

Thats just like the ol deisel in gasoline trick.
The combustion part of the cyl has no lubrication and there fore wears the upper rings quicker. A small ammount of flammable petrol will aide in lubrication while still igniting with the fuel.

As far as the mixture goes, its not that sensitive. Try your 2 stroke weed whaker. add too much oil and the engine smokes more but in leui adds more lubricant to the engine that creates a film that will help it for tanks to come.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,633 Posts
imported post

Sea Foam will NOT damage your engine, and it is not pure Naptha & alcohol. Read the Sea Foam Chronicles in the FAQ Forum for some factory reads on the chemistry of it.

That guy's thoughts on the Marine 2 stroke oil are a long ways from being brand new. That idea has been around for a long, long time. As muaymendez1 said, a lot of old timers have been throwing in a little bit of diesel fuel in their gas.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

I have to say after adding seafoam as a gas treatment on my 1995 gl 1500 within a week the carb bowls started to leak. It might be a great product for some things but I wouldnt put it in a older machine. Maybe it was a coincidence. No way to know for sure. But for the time it takes to pull the carbs and the price of new Honda gaskets if your machine is running well as mine was I wouldnt put seafoam in it. Adding 2 stroke motor oil makes sense for lubrication. I do that in my older diesel boat motor.

·
Administrator
27,904 Posts
imported post

I have been doing some thankin' about what the Tommy Chong looking guy wrote. He is full of bs about the quality of the fuel. It is so much better now than it was in the 80s there is no comparison, with the exception of ethanol. I took a picture of some intake valves I took out of a Honda Accord with 16?,000 miles, had never had the timing belt changed. The valves are clean as new. I can't get the picture to download off my cell phone. In the 80s we had lots of problems with carbon build up on the intakes causing hesitation. It would get so bad on some cars it would actually fill the intake ports.
His statement about ATF having no lubricating qualities, what does he thinks lubricates an automatic transmission?
While I still think it won't hurt anything to use 2 stroke oil and it might possibly be of benefit, with the rest of his bs statements, I don't put a lot of hope in it.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
imported post

That is avery good point. Our machines were not designed to run on ethanol or synthetic oil, but this must have been consideerredwhen developing theses things. The fuel is cleaner which burns cleaner and leaves less deposites than fuels of yesteryear. That said I think the new fuels goes bad quicker but that is only an opinion.
As for seafoam making your carb bowls leak, 1 bad experience is all takes to leave a bad taste in ones mouth, I doubt your carbs were in great condition. If so you wouldnt piut seafoam in there.

When i pour lucas tranny slipfix in my tranny i hope for the best, it has worked everytime I have used it on different vehicles. I will not stop using it if one day the tranny quits. I wont blame the treatment.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Just thought i'd add my two cents...I use seafoam in EVERYTHING and i swear by the stuff...And i've never been afraid to over-medicate with it either.....as far as puttin' two stroke oil in my gas, i've never heard of such a thing...as long as the seafoam does the trick i'll probably never try it either.....

Jeff
nekked '84 gl1200

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

After spending CONSIDERABLE time researching this 2 stroke oil in the gas thing , AZgl1500 is correct. seems this 2 stroke oil in the gas has been around for forever. Google it and there arehundreds of boards out there with hundreds of members who use it. BITOG guys, Diesel guys, marine guys, audi guys,KLR650 guys, ect, ect. from what I can gather two points stand out. It MUST be TCW-3 rated used in the proper ratio for any benefit, and I see about 95% positive comments on its use and about 5% negative comments on its use. Ive spent way to much time on this now so I,m going to just give it a try and will post results, good or bad ( if any) after 4-5 tank's full.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Hey Kashjeff, I did quite a bit of research on the sea foam too. sounds like you use quite a bit of the stuff. There are recipes all over the google for making it yourself ( If you search this board there is a member who posted a recipe here also) Might save you a buck or two!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

He lost me when he said that ATF doesn't have lubracating qualities. That's totally incorrect. What does he think lubricates all the moving parts inside an automatic tranny?? Just MHO, but I think this is just some guy that loves to hear himself talk - and does way too much of it. I personally will not be taking any of his advice.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

i use seafoam in everything i got for about 3 years now and i go to florida for 4 to 5 mouths and everything will start when i get back

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

1) tranny fluid is a lubricant
2) Seafoam works very vell
3) two stroke oil in gas is nothing new and does work on older equipment.
4) tranny fluid and /or two stroke oil will cause problems with NEWER 3 way catalyst machines. They will throw a code which you will have to pull and check out. They can in larger volumes trash a catalytic converter.
5) too much time wasted on this subject. Anyone want to ride in The Colony this afternoon, maybe out to McKinney on 380?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Jason m wrote:
1) tranny fluid is a lubricant
2) Seafoam works very vell
3) two stroke oil in gas is nothing new and does work on older equipment.
4) tranny fluid and /or two stroke oil will cause problems with NEWER 3 way catalyst machines. They will throw a code which you will have to pull and check out. They can in larger volumes trash a catalytic converter.
5) too much time wasted on this subject. Anyone want to ride in The Colony this afternoon, maybe out to McKinney on 380?
Damn right, Bro. Screw it, let's ride!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.