Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen a few posts here about Seafoam ... which by the way it is talked about appears to be some form of carburetur cleaner. Can anybody fill me in on where to get it, when it is needed and how to use it.

Thanks

Biker_Billy

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Wal Mart, Auto Zone, Advantage Auto Parts.

I am a skeptic of fuel oil additives but have used it in a couple of tanks so far and idle rpm are up about 100 rpm. Course I replaced the air filter at also and it was really pretty grunged up. I think I'm going to keep it up though. This forum hasn't steared me wrong yet and they believe in it.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Walmart aka "Wally world" has the lowest price for Sea Foam @ $6.44 per can. At least that's what the price is in the Seattle area. Directions are on the container and the recommended amount is 1oz per gallon of gas.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Let me tell you Seafoam is good. If to look at the ingredents, its the same as what the dealers use, only at a fraction of the cost. I used Seafoam on a VERY EXPENSIVE Acura engine I have. It eliminated my valve ticking noise. After you use seafoam, dont forget to change the oil, and spark plugs. Works great with alitle smokle show. Im getting some for my bike!!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Also try Berrymans B-12 Chemtool, Cheaper than seafoam , makes the engine run good! I keep some in my gas.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
Also try Berrymans B-12 Chemtool, Cheaper than seafoam , makes the engine run good! I keep some in my gas.
One of the problems with the Berrymans B12, is that after a lot of use, it will cause some of the o-rings in the carbs to shrink, and also cause some gaskets to start leaking. I've been using the Seafoam for +20 years, and have never had a problem with it. Seafoam works great in dirty fuel systems, can be used in the oil as an engine cleaner, is a better fuel stabilizer than Sta-Bil, and also helps clean a dirty fuel tank. On a poor running Wing, I add almost 1/2 can to a full tank of fuel, run that tank and then fill up with fresh gas, after that tank, pour 1/2 of what is left in the can into the full tank, and run until that tank is almost empty, then fill up with fresh gas only again, and the next tankfull, use the remaining Seafoam and if it is still running poorly due to fuel problems, replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced, and it should have improved, unless the carbs are really in need of a rebulding. I also use it in my cages and bikes about every 3-4 months as a preventative measure to keep the systems clean.:) Welcome to the forum!:cool:

Gene:waving:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

"tanks" fer the warnin'!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
picasso wrote:
One of the problems with the Berrymans B12, is that after a lot of use, it will cause some of the o-rings in the carbs to shrink, and also cause some gaskets to start leaking. I've been using the Seafoam for +20 years, and have never had a problem with it. Seafoam works great in dirty fuel systems, can be used in the oil as an engine cleaner, is a better fuel stabilizer than Sta-Bil, and also helps clean a dirty fuel tank. On a poor running Wing, I add almost 1/2 can to a full tank of fuel, run that tank and then fill up with fresh gas, after that tank, pour 1/2 of what is left in the can into the full tank, and run until that tank is almost empty, then fill up with fresh gas only again, and the next tankfull, use the remaining Seafoam and if it is still running poorly due to fuel problems, replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced, and it should have improved, unless the carbs are really in need of a rebulding. I also use it in my cages and bikes about every 3-4 months as a preventative measure to keep the systems clean.:) Welcome to the forum!:cool:

Gene, I used to be the Seafoam Jesus, but I think you have taken over with this one post. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Nah, he's more of a Guru type. I just don't see Gene as anything resembling a deity.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I tried to unclog a set of carbs, no dice. I believe that it will be a preventative maintenance. I think it is a fuel preservative but so is Stabil.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I tried to unclog a set of carbs, no dice. I believe that it will be a preventative maintenance. I think it is a fuel preservative but so is Stabil.
And Seafoam won't turn into that pink carb bowl gel like Stabil can. :dude:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
And Seafoam won't turn into that pink carb bowl gel like Stabil can. :dude:
So true. And Rudy, your still the official Seafoam Guru, I'm just a disciple.:)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

But how long does it take to get Stabil pink gel? I have used it in lawn mowers and snowblowers with no problema.

I don't dislike Seafoam. It is just that it has done no miracles for me.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
But how long does it take to get Stabil pink gel? I have used it in lawn mowers and snowblowers with no problema.

I don't dislike Seafoam. It is just that it has done no miracles for me.
It doesn't do miracles for anyone but you are the only one I've heard claiming that it did nothing at all for you. Now I have heard people who's jets it couldn't clean because they were completely plugged. But those carbs should have been torn down anyway, not chemically treated.

I have seen Stabil gel in carb bowls over one winter. Others have also. Someone posted pix of the crap in the bowls. Don't know the cause but it certainly does not happen with Seafoam. I leave the analysis to the Stabil engineers.

I go with cause and effect results and the feedback of many with similar results.

Not trying to dis Stabil. Use what makes you happy.

I prefer logic. Lets see... both stabilize fuel, one gels one doesn't......

Ok I made my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Happy? No, I want a miracle. Okay, I know it won't happen.

But seriously, wasn't the GREEN stuff in one of the carb pictures a while back from a guy using Seafoam? Sometimes, I wonder if I am hearing urban legends. Maybe something else caused the crud/gel?

I do believe one thing.....todays gas couldn't even ignite a molotov cocktail after several months. So, some gas preservative is necessary.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

I don't like Seafoam either, it makes my Wing smell like fish.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I've been skepitcal but I thinkI am going to give it a try on the 1200. I was used maverl mystery oil one inmy tank on the 1100 and it made my fuel mileage increase 5 mpg during the next several tanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.