Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Alot ofpeople talk about using Seafoam in the crank case and as an additive in the fuel tank. Will it help to make the valve lash adjuster quite. If it is safe what would be the best procedure for crankcase usage. If I add a few onces to my crank case should I run it at a fast idle then change oil or can you drive it for a while.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Add about 4 oz. then ride it 100 miles (continuous if possible) more or less then change the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I use it to treat my fuel on a regular basis - half a can per bike, once in a while. I'm not a fan ofcompromising the viscosity of my motor oil with anything . . .ever.

There are many proponents of this practice about, and I'm sure several will be along to advise you shortly. Also - I believe there are instructions on the can.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

It's supposed to loosen up gunk so that when you change the oil, more dirt will come out. On a 1200 or older, I'd be afraid that it may hasten the demise of your stator. If you have already done the poorboy conversion or have a 1500 or 1800, have at it.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:
On a 1200 or older, I'd be afraid that it may hasten the demise of your stator.
What am I missing here? How is an additive in the oil going to affect the electrical system? Please fill me in. Thanks.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
Jsalpha2 wrote:
On a 1200 or older, I'd be afraid that it may hasten the demise of your stator.
What am I missing here? How is an additive in the oil going to affect the electrical system? Please fill me in. Thanks.
Stator is in the oil bath... "washing" the insulation and plate laminations in a solvent, may change insulative properties, etc...

Probabaly not a serious issue with the Seafoam product since it's pretty flacid as a solvent, but... there could be some risk and a greater risk with more aggressive products.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
Stator is in the oil bath... "washing" the insulation and plate laminations in a solvent, may change insulative properties, etc...

Thanks, Satan. Never would have guessed there was an electrical component in that oil bath.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
satan wrote:

Thanks, Satan. Never would have guessed there was an electrical component in that oil bath.
I'm confused on that one too, but then again, I've never changed a stator nor owned a 1200. :? don't mind me, I'm still a student. :ROFL: Oh, and I don't really see that seafoam would hurt it if it was only in your oil for a little while. I personally wouldn't put it in there for much longer than an hour of run time on the engine, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Good point satan , my understanding of motor / gen. winding insulation is , they use varnish ! Just the stuff the additives try to clean off !

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Really, IMHO, I don't think that the mild cleaning from SeaFoam would remove insulation from wires that were in good shape and designed to live in a fairly hot and unfriendly oil-bath... but there may be some consideration due for old wires that have lived 23+ years in said harsh environment. I think that SeaFoam would not cause me to worry at recommended dosing.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for you replies. I decided to contact the Seafoam technition and now I will not use the Seafoam in my crankcase. This is his reply

Joe
After doing some research on your bike I see that style stator has been a concern on 1985 and 1986 Honda’s. Failure rates are very high and I would not advise adding any cleaner to the crankcase. Sea Foam can be used in your fuel but I would not add to the crankcase.

Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Manager
ASE Certified Automotive Technician

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I am now a firm beleiver.... I put some in this morning ( low speed circiuts not righafter a long spell in storage)
after 30 miles .. wow what a diference. that bike is HOT!
smooth idle .
Runs strong.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

i was told keeping your oil changed was the best thing for your bike i aways did mine every 1500 miles comes out clean as the day it went in maybe its just a good peace of mind for me just like a car and always keep tune ups up to date

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
I am now a firm beleiver.... I put some in this morning ( low speed circiuts not righafter a long spell in storage)
after 30 miles .. wow what a diference. that bike is HOT!
smooth idle .
Runs strong.

Sound like but not stated you put the seafoam in the gas not in the oil, correct?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I must agree with Wingnumberone, I would not advise messing with the viscosity of the oil or the amount of detergent it has in it. Change your oil often and there will be no crude in it. If there is crude build up due to poor maintenance decreasing viscosity and increasing detergent can break loose enough gunk to plug up oil passages. Just change your oil more often and let it clean up over time. My opinion.

Shalom, Marc

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

Could one put some insulated wire in a pan and soak it with sea foam for a week or two to see if it does anything to the insulation?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

Could one put some insulated wire in a pan and soak it with sea foam for a week or two to see if it does anything to the insulation?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
Nice thought but it would have to be done at running engine temperatures to be meaningful.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Joe 50 wrote:
Thanks for you replies. I decided to contact the Seafoam technition and now I will not use the Seafoam in my crankcase. This is his reply

Joe
After doing some research on your bike I see that style stator has been a concern on 1985 and 1986 Honda’s. Failure rates are very high and I would not advise adding any cleaner to the crankcase. Sea Foam can be used in your fuel but I would not add to the crankcase.

Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Manager
ASE Certified Automotive Technician
For what it's worth, my son added Seafoam to his 86 Aspy and 2 weeks later, the stator shorted out. Coincidence? IMHO, not worth it. If I wanted to clean it out, I would use ATF added to the oil, then change it out.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

For what it's worth I don't believe seafoam or any thing esle you would think that would be safe to put in the oil would harm the stator. What will realy eat the insulation off the stator wire's is the acids in the gunk that builds up inside the engine. Flushing the engine with cleaners will remove the gunk now protecting the wires andshort out your stator. There probly is no cure for this. Other than to only ride your bike rarly and not change oil often.
Its like brushing your teeth. You can't one day decice you should start to brush them after all these trs and expect it to do some good. It will only remove what plack that is left protecting what teeth you have left.
Wilf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.