Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i having trouble with my 1985 interstate starter not engaging the engine--i been informed on this forum to change the oi,l put in a half can of seafoam and drive the bike for 100 miles to clean the sludge out--i have the front wheel off and due to an error on my part it will be a week before i receive the parts--can i jack the rear end up run the bike in and what gear without hurting anything--i can hit the starter button enough and the starter will engaged

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well , I am just speculating here , so don't quote me, but I would be concerned about the angle of the swing arm ( thus the front u-joint ) .It might not like the constant severe angle . But then again , might be just fine.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I did that to my 1100, it worked. After a couple of years of trouble always in the colder months (never a problem in the summer). Marvel Mystery Oil didn't work, neither did direct squirting of the clutch with MMO many times.

I ran mine with 16 Oz of Seafoam last winter, never over 50 deg outside, about 300 miles total. I wanted a bunch of short trips to get the heat soak, cycle, repeat. Time is as important as total mileage on this treatment, so be patient with it.

I would get the bike back together and start riding it when it is cool. I also stayed below half throttle and below 3K rpm.

Even the clutch engagement is better. All in all, what can you expect for a 30 year old engine with less than 70K miles. Gum and varnish builds up on valve guides, ring lands, as well as the starter clutch rollers.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
i having trouble with my 1985 interstate starter not engaging the engine--i been informed on this forum to change the oi,l put in a half can of seafoam and drive the bike for 100 miles to clean the sludge out--i have the front wheel off and due to an error on my part it will be a week before i receive the parts--can i jack the rear end up run the bike in and what gear without hurting anything--i can hit the starter button enough and the starter will engaged
There's no reason to put the bike in gear as the engine oil flies around inside for the hopeful cleaning the same in neutral as in gear.
Of course the rear wheel should be off the ground when you do it as you don't want to launch the bike if you accidentally hit the shifter.:eek:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
No need to run the bike right away, though it won't hurt the u-joint because the travel of the swing arm is limited both up and down. Best bet would be to wait and get it back together and ride it. Running the bike unloaded with the rear wheel spinning won't really allow al the components to get up to normal operating temperature which is what you need to try getting the crud out. Besides crud in the starter there are a couple other causes of the starter spinning and not engaging. One is low voltage at the starter. That can be caused be an anemic battery, dirty or loose cabling between the battery and starter, dirty contacts in the start relay and a starter with dirty or worn brushes and/or commutator or worn starter bearings. This type of starter problem is more common on 1100s than 1200s but does happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.