Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the purpose of the speaker spacers? I see the part in the listings and I am installing some after market JR 15 AMP speakers. Do I need to be concerned about the spacers? There are a few on Ebay that I can buy in a pinch.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Why,for spacing the speakers, of course! Should only be for two reasons, 1.) mecahnical fit 2.) accoustics 3.) to let back of the cone breathe. Mounting space might be too air tight.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am buying the JR's to replace the ones the previous owner installed. The Jr's are flat faced like the OEM speakers.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Are you referring to the small spacers where the mounting screws go through? If so, they are to stop you overtightening the screws and distorting the speaker rim. Most people manage without the spacers, just be careful how far you tighten the screws.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

They actually look more like gaskets- the same cut-out shape as the speakers with a matching 3-1/4" hole pattern.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:
They actually look more like gaskets- the same cut-out shape as the speakers with a matching 3-1/4" hole pattern.
If you're talking about the plastic things that have a hole the size of the speaker and four small holes that line up with the speaker mounting screws and is thinner on one side than the other, it goes thick side toward the center to level up the dash assembly so the speaker covers and instrument panel is flush. At least that's what it did for my 86 SEI and I'd suppose the Aspyalso.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I know what mjpliv is refering to. It's a thick gasket and it's there to dampen vibration. They do this with car speakers as well for the same reasons, but I can't say if it really makes a difference. :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.