Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Seat cover on one of the 84 1200I's needs to be replaced. OEM preferred unless they are rediculously priced otherwise aftermarket closest in quality/appearance. Informed suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Local auto re-upholsterer.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I have an 82 1100 Aspencade. I recently had the opportunity to compare two Sadlemen seats side by side from JC Whitney. I posted a "review" of sorts here:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/71905.html

I liked both seats but chose the deluxe.

You can get them for the 1200 as well.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

A lot of after market seat covers are very thin vinyl. I used about $40CND of vinyl, (-40 C) and the local shop sewed it up for $100CND. I glued and stretched it, only two crinkles that I couldn't get out.

James

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

And a first class post it is Mr. Magic Fingers. The good members of our forum are lucky to have you. I read through it and others before posting this topic. Went to the site and photo examples were all diamond pattern. I prefer the factory pattern. Local stitchers here in Socal is like anything else here - $$$$$$. I bought a recover a while back for a Nighthawk and it was actually very very good. The receipt is buried somewhere in files. I'll dig it out and give it props when I find it.* Thanks to all that took the time to reply.

*That recover was a B&H product. I'd recommend them particularly regarding value and quality. I'll take a look at their Goldwing offerings. If they ship me one I'll be sure post a short review. Thx again y'all.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

JCWhitney has seat covers they claim are factory dupes for the '84~'86 models. I have no experience with them as mine is an '87, but they are priced right.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks Dennis. I'll take another look and, not to bring up a sore/offtopic subject, but did you get the 1200 running right again?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

escogold wrote:
Thanks Dennis. I'll take another look and, not to bring up a sore/offtopic subject, but did you get the 1200 running right again?
In short, no. I'm settling for poor idle, good running. Until I find a good '87 #3 carb, orconjure up a repair...

Thanks for asking. :waving:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Dennis where did you find those seatcovers from JC Whitney? I searched their site and could only find examples that Magic Fingers reviewed.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

escogold wrote:
Dennis where did you find those seatcovers from JC Whitney? I searched their site and could only find examples that Magic Fingers reviewed.
It was in their motorcycle catalog. Page 67 if I'm not mistaken, but let me look it up and get back to you later today.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I thought that may be the case. I'll order their catalog. In the meantime I'll give them a call and ask about them. Do you know if their OEM style are Saddleman too?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Sorry, all I know is last time I needed a seat I looked at them as an option but the '87 wasn't available. I was also told by someone at the Honda shop where I bought my seat that the covers were thinner material than OEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.