Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1983 gl1000. The bike is 100% stock and I want to keep it that way. The seat cover is in good shape but the foam underneath is shot. Can I get a new seat foam. Should I just shape a block to look like the original. Any good ideas. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

maybe go to some mattress places and get samples of memory foam or soemthing i am sure menards lowes or any place sells foam but for comfort i'd go with memory foam and maybe stitch in a gel pad under the seat

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bagmaster, DIY motorcycleseat.com is a really great find. I have another very painful seat I was about to redesign and here it is all explained including the adhesives, tools and experience, this should be added to the service forum. Very good advice. Mana to you sir. :)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yes, it is a good one. It explains about all the different types of foam, how to cut and fit it to suit you. I'm a chicken though as I plan to take mine to a local shop and get a quote on doing it and a top for my sidecar.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

I read in a M/Cmagazine once, a tester referring to the Honda seat as a "Vinyl Crucifix"

There are places that can put gel in that seat for you or simply replace the foam. Do a web search.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I once had a bike with a hard seat and took it to an upholstery shop. They removed the cover then dished out the seat foam and added a layer of memory foam, then replaced the cover. The difference was amazing, and It only cost me $50.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

it was hard to believe that these pads would improve my seat,which was a corbin at that,but after finding them at wal-mart and putting out $20 for one it makes me kinda sick cause i spent over $500 for seat and the backrests

i.m am sure they will do what u need until you can afford to buy a new seat

used them on a 3000+ mile trip to ny, nh, ma, vt and back accross to toronto and home
and only occasionally was even somewhat uncomfortable

i only worry about putting it on if its more than 30 or 40 miles

not all wal-marts carry them so u might have to search around and/or get the other one

on the sei i have, the seat is 10x better than an regular aspy seat and i'll just use the gel pad amd never look back

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=80156&forum_id=4&highlight=gel+pads

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Best solution in the world here:

Head down to your local toy store and get yourself one of those "Stretch Armstrong" fellas, tie him face-down over the seat and enjoy many comfy miles. He mushes-out pretty well although it takes a minute or two. Like sitting on a loaded diaper... form-fittin' brother... Form-Fittin'.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Best solution in the world here:

Head down to your local toy store and get yourself one of those "Stretch Armstrong" fellas, tie him face-down over the seat and enjoy many comfy miles. He mushes-out pretty well although it takes a minute or two. Like sitting on a loaded diaper... form-fittin' brother... Form-Fittin'.

:D
:cheeky1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.