Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I'm likely to be bringing up a subject that has been discussed before, but after doing a search on it, I didn't find much. I'm looking to purchase a new seat for my 89 GL1500. I had the original seat reupholstered a few years ago and the vinyl is starting to crack. I'm looking for some information on a good seat to purchase. I've read about Corbin, Diamond and Hartco seats. But knowing there is many years of biking experience on this forum, I'd like your opinions on what you feel is the best seat to buy. I'm sure each of you will have an opinion and I'm not looking to start and arguement about which might be the best. I'm just looking for your thoughts on the different seats that you might have purchased. Thank you in advance.

Steve Corcoran

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Problem is, not many folks will have purchased many different seats for any single bike so it's tough to make any comparasons. Especially since so many factors enter into what is 'best' for any individual. Weight, size, leg length, riding style, etc.

I got a Diamond and had them make some adjustments to suit me and the Mrs.

It isn't a super wide super wrap around seat like some but it suits me. And with my weight, it wouldn't matter a whole lot what I was sitting on, I'd still have to take breaks.

So you see that is a tough question you are asking.

Remember that cranky old lady that Jay Leno used to have on for people to ask questions to? One time someone from England called in and asked what was better; one ply or two ply toilet paper. Her answer was "Your ass knows. Ask your ass".

Same thing here.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

A custom seat is probably the best. As Rudy said, many variables come into play if you plan on riding long distances. Are your legs short, less wrap around, if they are long wrap doesn't matter, if you are a light weight, less padding is needed, but at the same time correct padding is needed, especially if your butt is bony (no meat). I personally like a smaller thinner pad but with memory padding added or a gel pad. If you legsare big and short, you really need less wrap as your going to cut off circulation, also depends on where you put your feet most of the time. Go to a dealer of many bikes and sit on them all.

Pick a maker, and really talk to them and get it custom made. but Don't go toa guythat doesn't ride a bike.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Rudy and SpiderBob, thank you for replying to my question. I know it's a hard one, but I figured I'd ask it anyway. I understand what you are both saying and I do realize there is a lot of variables in seat building and purchasing. I'll probably end up going with Corbin, they seem to show a really nice seat. I'll definitely ask my ass Rudy, Thanks lol.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Best is always to try someone elses bike forseat, grips, windshield, etc., before going out & paying the $ up front. There may always be variables, but you can get a very good idea by just trying something close.

I don't buy the "break-'em-in" thing that many say.

Seats are like a good pair of shoes....they should bethe mostcomfortable the day you put 'em on & stay that way for a VERY long time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
imported post

Hey all you goldwingers a buddy of mine had a company called saddleman make him a seat for his goldwing best seat he ever sat on . they make the seat spacificly for your frame they ask for height, weight, inseam etc.I sat on his bike unbeleivable i will get one soon they are pricey but well worth it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve.

In the past, Ioften toyed with the thought of going to a 'custom seat', but the costs($400-$900+) were what I considered way out of line. :p

You can order a brand new stock seat(gray) for a 1992 Aspencade(it'll fit your bike!) for $178from CheapCycleParts.com

I have comfortablyput many a long day in the saddle with my bike, often riding for up to 12-14 hours and all I am using is the stock saddle/seat and a sheepskin. They(sheepskin) keep your butt warm when it's cool/cold out and cool when it's warm/hot out. I also find it keeps you from getting 'Monkey Butt'

You have to break in your butt, getting used to long days in the saddle,rather than breaking in the seat. A back rest might help as well. The people here favour the Utopia

Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

IMHO(which doesn't count for much just ask my wife)any aftermarket seat is 10 times better than stock.I went with the Hartco because it was all I could afford at the time.Yea it was twice as much as a new OEM seat,but it also comes with a Utopia style backrest.The wife and I both love the seat.Saying all that if I had the money I would have a Corbin.Either way whatever you spend on a good seat is the best money you will spend on your bike if you do a lot of riding and plan on keeping the bike for a while.Hold off on the shiny bits for a while and get a good seat your butt will thank you.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Dusty is right about 'breaking -in-your-butt'. I have to do it every spring & takes about 2000 miles. I don't think the backrest is optional. Sheepskins also keep friction down & keep butt dry on those hot days. [I never noticed any warmth in winter]

I've heard a LOT about the Travelcade Roadsofa seat. It seems many really find that to be near perfect, some like the built-in gelpad option it offers and the personalized measurements required.

Myself, I've used stock seats for the past 400k+ miles, and lately, a sheepskin. So I'm just passing thoughts of others for options.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Tucson5,

Got a deal for you. I have a Diamond seat for a 1500 you can have for 50 bucks. Try it, if you like it, get it recovered.

I loved it, most comfortable seat I ever rode on.

A truck robbed me of my bike almost a year ago today, so I don't need the seat anymore.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I bought a used vinyl Hartco seat with built in backrest for my '89 wing and I love it.
Huge difference over stock. I tried the sheepskin pelt on both seats and found that it seemed to "glue" me to the seat which became uncomfortable. The vinyl is slippery enough to allow for more movement and position change thus more comfort. (for me anyway)

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I love my Corbin but there are those that don't like the firmness of them.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I've got a corbin on my bike. Was not really happy with it for the first 3 months. Had to get my butt in shape I found. Once that was out of the way, I find I really like the Corbin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.