Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a seat for 95 which I think is velour, like crushed velvet?
Not used it yet, got in DEC.

How do these handle rain?
I don't want a wet butt after ever little rain sitting outside. Do they soak up water like a towel, or shed water like vinyl or leather?

I will probably like the seat since it should give added height and I am long legged, but since I park allot outdoors on trips I'm a bit worried about weather.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

I don't want a wet butt after ever little rain sitting outside. Do they soak up water like a towel, or shed water like vinyl or leather?

I will probably like the seat since it should give added height and I am long legged, but since I park allot outdoors on trips I'm a bit worried about weather.
I have not used one myself, however I bet that you could somewhat avoid the problem by sitting atop a Beaded Seat... It keeps you dryer, yet a bit colder too.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
My seat...

I have a Diamond Velour Seat.
It DOES soak up water....if it gets wet you will be sitting in a puddle the next day too. I carry a few extra towels with me and if it rains and the seat gets wet I sit on them to soak up the water instead of my pants getting wet...
Riding in the rain there isn't much you can do unless you also have the rain covers for the seat..?
I usually just wer my rain pants for extra time if it stops raining, then use the towels to "blot" out the water...
These can be rainproofed, but the rain proofing (like the camp dry stuff) just wears off when you are riding in regular weather...
The first little bit of rain water will bead off, but it quickly become overwhelmed by the water and it penetrates into the foam underneath...

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
I love that blue seat!!!!...I have never had one either but we did have a sheep skin on our old Suzie, first time we got in a rain, had to take it off, bag it until we got home....I don't mind getting a little wet, but to ride several miles your fanny soaked, there isn't enough powder to help the blisters...Two days in a motel, in New Mexico, got caught in a bad dust storm, then very heavy rain??? Riding over 40 miles soaked to that motel, eating a lot of delievery pizzas, we healed up enough to go on...Yeah I can hear it Wussy, but we had been riding for over two years, and gotten wet before, I think it was the combination of dust and getting soaked....

If it were mine and I didn't want to ride on it wet, a waterproof cover might be in order, get that cover on first in a rain...:?..

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
A good treatment of scotchguard once a year works great. The water just beads up and wipes off. If stopped during a heavy rain, like at a motel, restaurant etc... a good cover works good to keep eveything dry.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I had a seat like that on my trike, like someone mentioned, wear rain gear til it dries. If you're riding the wind help dry it out.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I had one of those seats on a bike when I got it. They soak up water like a sponge. On vacation if it gets wet one day you are wet rest of trip. The make a rain cover. But in a hard rain they still get wet. I now use a Corbin seat. Leather. They will soak up a little water but not as bad.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I had a black Diamond Velour seat cover. As already mentioned, a scotch guard spray every so often took care of it.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I had a seat cover like that but it came with a rain cover with elastic edges that slipped over complete seat.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've had my Hartco for about 5 years now and it still repells water pretty good.A shot of scotchguard probably wouldn't hurt it though.I've had puddles on the seat by the time I get my rain suit on and very,very little will soak into it at the seams but drys quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ya'll

I may give the seat a good Scotch Guard and carry a gel cushion too.
It's a nice looking seat, should add some height for me too, and dying to try it out but been too busy to ride lately so not installed it yet still.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I have used microfibre towels which suck up alot of water quickly..

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I had a Hartco with a velour top. Hated it. It soaks up water quickly. The sprays only last so long. Even with the cover on it, it soaked through. Had a local custom upholsterer make a custom high end vinyl cover for it. It's a basket weave style, and you would swear it was real leather. Have had many compliments on it. Tom :july4thflag:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I've had my Hartco for about 5 years now and it still repells water pretty good.A shot of scotchguard probably wouldn't hurt it though.I've had puddles on the seat by the time I get my rain suit on and very,very little will soak into it at the seams but drys quickly.
+1. Not sure what happened with the Hartco seat or others mentioned, but mine does not soak up the rain. I re-spray it every year or two but it has never soaked up the water to any extent. Towel it off and it's nearly as dry as a vinyl seat. Been running it for 4 years, and I do ride in the rain, as many on this forum can attest to.
John

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
+1. Not sure what happened with the Hartco seat or others mentioned, but mine does not soak up the rain. I re-spray it every year or two but it has never soaked up the water to any extent. Towel it off and it's nearly as dry as a vinyl seat. Been running it for 4 years, and I do ride in the rain, as many on this forum can attest to.
John
I haven't sprayed mine yet and it still repells water pretty good.Will probably do it this year though.More concerned about mine starting to fade and even that is not a huge deal right now.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

I had one on my 94 and it had it's own rain cover you had to put over or wet but for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use camp dry spray and it helps a lot but if it rains I get the rain cover on as fast as I can. My seat has a cut by the driver backrest so I think I will be replacing it with a regular seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.