Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I must be missing something... and my clymer manual must be missing a page ... Just how does one get the seat off of an 82 interstate. I have the bags, trunk, rear rack, crash bars, fender, and even the rear wheel removed and I am still stumped as to how to get the thing undone. I removed the side bolts... you know the ones with the allen-wrench hole and the star wrench hole inside (is this some strange pentagram mystic symbol... should I be doing a druidic dance around the seat to get it to release?) The seat is holding fast from the front, but no matter what yoga position I bend myself into to try to see the connection, I cannot see it.

I'm thinking that this must be a rite of initiation for newbies to the classic goldwings... I'm sure I have read something on this subject here in the forum before, but now I can't find it again... I have figured out the riddle of how not to leave the run-stop switch in the stop position when cranking the bike and have learned the mystical art of the center stand... what more must I do to be worthy of getting my seat disconnected?

Wax on, wax off...

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Check for a release lever inside the fuel access door... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If you have removed BOTH side bolts, then lift up the back and pull the seat towards the back. The front part of the seat is inside a cubby-hole, and the only thing holding it down besides that is the rear bolts, but the rear does come up and back before the front does.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I've had the seat off of my 82 Int many times. Do as he said. You must lift the rear of the seat first and then slide it toward the rear. Also, there is no need to remove anything. The side bags have areas by the allen bolts that are cut to allow bolt removal. They are often hidden under the weatherstripping. Since everthing is removed, it's a good time to clean areas that are normally unreachable. Let us know how it goes

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll update this post with how the project is going, Dadoo, thanks!

I can already see that I am going to get to use my favorite Mercedes repair tool...

5lb dead-blow hammer ("fix car wit und hammer!")

The frame on the bike seems to be reasonably straight, aside from one little tweak to the bracket on the left rear right underneath the seat... thus the desire to remove the seat.

The bike took an obvious spill at a good speed on the left side. I was lucky on the fairing.... nothing cracked, only a small scrape up by the left mirror and a broken left mirror post which I already replaced with new mirrors. The left rear crash bar seemed to take most of the force of the impact though.... didn't make any crimps on the bars, but sent the left bag up about a half inch and in about an inch... thus moving the trailer hitch and the right bag out some.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
I'll update this post with how the project is going, Dadoo, thanks!

The bike took an obvious spill at a good speed on the left side. I was lucky on the fairing.... nothing cracked, only a small scrape up by the left mirror and a broken left mirror post which I already replaced with new mirrors. The left rear crash bar seemed to take most of the force of the impact though.... didn't make any crimps on the bars, but sent the left bag up about a half inch and in about an inch... thus moving the trailer hitch and the right bag out some.
Same thing happened when I wrecked mine. I've got the left saddlebag mount just about right, but the rear fender seems to be pushed to the right a tad. It could just be that the bag mounts are tweaked and it appears to have affected the fender. Still rides true, so I'm sure there was no frame bending, especially since mine was a relatively low-speed drop.

Jack

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I feel the same way about my Clymers! Great I guess if you are disasembleing but not if you need to remove some small thing to get to the big thing.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ah HA!

The dark magic was revealed by the light of a full moon! Some whack job had put a screw through the tab on the front of the seat.... effectively securing it to the tank and the frame. I guess he didn't want that seat moving anywhere anytime soon. I have now set the seat all the wayback where I like it, reinstalled all the bodywork, bars and so on, and have a brand spanking new Elite 3 on the rear. I also trued up all the bag mounts, cleaned and polished everything while I had them off, and installed some extra bracing for the trailer hitch. I'm ready to buy a trailer now and hit the road for an extended weekend or two.

Anybody got any reccomendations for a trailer? I don't want to spend a lot on it, but I would rather have one that would last for at least 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Well done Sterling, at least you discivered the secret screw before you did any damage!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Raymond is right. I did exactly that last week when I pulled my battery on my 92 G.W.. There is a weird hook that secures the seat in front and you have to slide the seat back,up, foward then out. It's weird but it worked. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I didn't need to remove the saddlebag, but there is two bolts up on the top side, facing inwards, and two bolts and nuts on the very bottom, one fore and one aft.

Raymond

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.