Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 82 GL 1100 I have a very small tearon the seat. It is on a seam and I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to repair this. It is the original seat that was on the bike when my dad puchased it in 1983. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance for reading and for any replies.

T. Scott

·
Registered
173 Posts
Having same problem on my 77 gl. Thinking of removing cover, Turning inside out,And gluing together with a strip of fiber glass tape used in drywall repair (the none stickey kind) And pollyurathane sealant used in rubber matt roofing. Unless someone has a better idea?:praying:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Recover them. Any patch glued on will tear apart from the stresses.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Auto upholsterers here do a great job re-stitching if the tear is along a seam, and can usually "hide" imperfections well, big $$ saving on getting the seat re-upholstered and you get to keep the original emblem if there is one.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I had a few bad seams on my 83A pulled cover off took to a local shoe repair 1 hour and 25 bucks later all done 5 years later still in good shape

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
What I have found is that once it starts to tear at one spot, others will soon follow. The vinyl is 31 years old... I think it has done what it was expected to do, and any attempts to repair it will just frustrate you in the end.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I f you remove the cover then reenforce the back with tape or more leather and then resew..but do the other side too. I am assuming its the spot where the flat seat meets the raise back on the drivers part..that's usually the first place to go on the OEM seats.

·
Registered
173 Posts
what i found.

Removed cover & found inner side dryrotted, even so the out side lookes great except for tear. new cover time. But found out the chrome strips are not part of seatcover. They are added on after the cover is installed!:ssshh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.