Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

your right, i wouldn't of believed it if i hadn't seen that myself :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

ive been doing that for years. Usually always got to do iton my 14.5 trailer tires. The trick is to spray the starting fluid on it first all the way around the insidelike he finally figured out and some wooden matches to toss on it. Warning If it dont work the first time make sure the fire is out inside the tire before you spray more ether. JB

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
imported post

I watched a tractor mechanic in wyoming do that with a backhoe tire. He used a LOT of ether.

Now, mind you, the rim alone weighed about 80 pounds, and the tire around 200. When he flicked his bic, the whole unit jumped about 4 feet in the air.

While I squealed with laughter like a little girl (screaming do it again, do it again!) he said "my boss dont like it when I do this..."

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Oh so tempting!

But I'm such a chicken sh_t!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I guess I have led a sheltered life because I have never seen that done before. I have done some real gyrations trying to get the bead seated lots of times. I gonna try that next time!:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

It all depends on the size of the tire - thickness of the rubber, your pretty safe just check your air pressure after the WooooooooP.

Wheel barrel to big tubeless tractor tires it will work, just do not get impatient and let the rubber cool after each attempt or you will start a fire.

On big rig tires many use a portable air tank that has been modified to let the air dump out of a big pipe all at one time at the flip of a valve. Makes one heck of a noise and blows crap everywhere. If you have a hard time with one and do not want to try the WoooooooP go by your local truck stop and ask them about the noise maker.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
imported post

I have been doing it for years. Have mounted tires on heavy equipment that way. It is not the safest thing. And while we are on the subject.

DON'T TRY THIS WITH A MOTORCYCLE TIRE!!!!

I don't think there is enough side wall to hold it on. It would probably blow the bead right over the wheel. That is when people get hurt.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I've done that too many times to count. One time I was doing the inside duel on a piece of equipment and it wouldn't seat for me. I stuck my face in there to see what might be keeping it from seating and when I did, there was still flame INSIDE the tire and it jump out and took my eye brows and all facial hair.

So if you do try this,,, give plenty of time for the fumes and fire to clear out between attempts.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Yep. If the air blaster don't work, either is the last resort. Its gets easier on the fear factor the more you do it. Beats using dynamite:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

AHHHHhhh this reminds me of my truck days.

Back when Mitchelin first introduced the very first Radials for trucks our shop was the first toinstall them.

The bead was MAYBE 1.5 inches apart... the rim 11 inches wide. We tried 3 bead expanders to open this nearly closed bead, nada.

Everyone went to lunch for a break to discuss what to do. I stuck the tire & rim in our "tire cage", sprayed a little "starting fluid" in the tire, lit it with a propane torch & POP! Bead sealed with instantly & with 12 lbs of pressure. Everyone came out from luchroom wondering what I was up to now.

I smiled & walked away saying, ''all fixed". Thanks :waving:to that old farmers trick. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

A friend and I made a noise maker for the fourth of July. You take a piece of 4" sch 40 or better PVC pipe about 4' long. Cut about a foot or so off. Now attach the long piece back to the short piece with a coupling. Before you slide it together you insert a piece of thin metal, like 18 or 20 ga with a hole in the center about 1 1/2" in dia. On the short end you put a threaded coupling with a cap. Drill a small hole just ahead of the coupling in the longer section. Thread and install a coleman type striker, that you spin to make sparks. Unscrew the cap, give it a small squirt of ether, replace the cap. Wait just a second, the spin the striker.

BOOM!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.