1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i just joined the site today

i don't know why i waited so long i have visited many times in past

:?how can i determine if the padding in the seat is getting worn out ?

it seems to get uncomfortable riding after shorter distances judging from my past two years i bought the bike used in 2006 with 19000 miles and now have 39000 miles on it

should the seat be worn out ?:(

if it is how do i determine which replacement is best ? so many choices

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Tony.

If it's a stock GL1800 seat, I'd check it by riding to the Honda dealer on the bike and then immediately planting my butt on a brand new one inside the dealer's showroom!

Plant yourself on one that is up on its centerstand and stay there for 5 or 10 minutes. Then go right back outside and plant yourself back on your bike's seat. That should tell you.

Yup, the good old side-by-side butt comparison test!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Your stock saddle is not worn out, but for alot of us, the Honda saddle is just uncomfortable. Unfortunately, buying a replacement is a leap of faith as there is no way to try before you buy. There is alot of information on the forum, do a search and read for awhile. Just remember opinions are like saddles, everyone has one.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

As everyone else is saying, your saddle should be fine at that mileage. My last 18 had 55 on it and the seat was as new. I think the main problem is that, as we get older, our butts become less tolerant.

Custom saddles may be the way to go? My 1200 had a Corbin saddle which I am sure was designed for a girl because it rose up at the front and you had to "arrange yourself" before getting on the bike, otherwise it could be a bit painful.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,960 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Tony,

A lot of folks go to aftermarket seat pads. My brother has one from a company called "Alaska" that is sheepskin over gel. It seems pretty good. They raise you up a bit but I like that they can be stored when you're not on a long ride. And they're way cheaper than a new seat

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The answer is if your butt hurts after and hour or two.of riding ..the seat is no good at least for you.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.