Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a trailer for my 1500 but not sure how to tie it down without damaging the front cowling. Dirt bikes and those without "TupperWare" are easy to get at the forks or handle bars but not this beast. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Thanks Amos

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I've tied mine down, using the front engine guards and the rear saddlebag guards. Plus I use a wheel chock up front to pull it into. Been all over with no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Why are you putting a Goldwing on a trailer?? Is it broke:baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I'm sure someone that has a 1500 and has trailered it will be on for some pointers. I know on my 1100 when I brought it home I used a trailer, because of bad tires. It was not to hard to find good tie down spots, but it doesn't have as much tupperware on it as you 1500.

(See I told you someone would be along!)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I've trailered mine 3 times. Once because of bad wheel bearings, and twice because of bad weather, ice, snow, or a possibility of, and I needed to go south. :action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Trailered mine twice.

Standard flatbed motorcycle trailer with two angle irons run length wise for the wheel track. Front wheel stops against the front cross member.

Tied it down with the crash bars to the sides. Used a 5th tie down strap cut off real short to secure the front wheel to the front cross member which is 12" above the trailer bed all the way around.

It can't back up, and the side straps held her straight up and down.

Nary a problem on a 3,000 mile round trip to a family reunion with house pets in tow :) I wanted my bike there, and at 120F temps leaving here, riding there was not even considered.

2nd trip was to the local mechanic's shop when I couldn't find someone to go with me so I could get back home. Ya do what ya gotta do.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That web page can't be found.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

OK,Cut and Paste from the forum. Go to search and punch in tie down 1500. First thread on the search.

Here's how I did mine. Let me know if you need more pics.

Attached Image (viewed 99 times):

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

The trick to the front end is the straps. They can be found at Harley shops. And on ebay. There are a couple of grades of them . Make sure they are strong enough. Some are made for dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/tiedown.html

Works with the
GL 1500 as well. You will need 4 quality straps and 4 soft ties. I have read some posts about why not to tie off to engine and crash bars. Once the bike is in the wheel chock, tie down front with the hooks about 24 inches apart. Then, soft tie to the frame on the sides. The side ties just keep the bike from shifting sideways, in the rear. Don't be afraid to get the straps really tight.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Just make sure that all lose ends are secure because in the wind it can scratch the paint of the wing.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

It really helps to have one person pulling ahead and down on those front straps to tighten them while you straddle the machine and press down on the handlebars. Puts pressure on the forks and they naturally keep tight by trying to extend themselves. A loose strap is a disaster in progress.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks guys. The pic's helped. Horbor freight has wheel chocks at a good price. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I like the locking wheel chock. I also don't like compressing the shocks or using any stands.

I prefer to tie the front wheel forward and the rear wheel to each side to prevent them rear center point from moving.

Then using the engine guards/ seat handles/rear crash guards/handlebars to use as side stabilizers. Front forward slightly and the rear points rearward slightly.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

One note...Someone said get good straps...I almost learned that the hard way.....When I bought My Wing last year, I didn't want to get a ticket for not motorcycle also on my drivers licenses, so I rented a U-haul motorcycle trailer , took a bunch of straps that I have owner for years.....We did a 4 point on the front, one strap real tight, the other slightly looser, after we left that dealer we stopped for lunch and I added an extra set of straps to the rear, just as a safety measure .....GOOD THING TOO!!!!! We hit a bad spot on I-10 just about 20 miles down the road, I looked back at my "new" wing and it was flopping around like a chicken with its head cut off!!!!! Quick stop on the side of the road ...revealed that one of the tight straps on the forks had broke leaving the looser one holding it from falling over on its right side...We got another strap out and installed it. Made it the rest of the way home without ant more problems......

But lesson learned.....The straps I had used were old and now just in case I have to ever trailer it again, I bought 6 new heavier duty "motorcycle straps".....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

amosheath wrote:
I bought a trailer for my 1500 but not sure how to tie it down without damaging the front cowling. Dirt bikes and those without "TupperWare" are easy to get at the forks or handle bars but not this beast. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Thanks Amos
If you are a member of GWRRA or know someone near you who is there is a good detailed article in the Goldbook on tying down a wing. The 1500 and 1800 tie down the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.