Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Comodo anti-virus free and the firewall software into the XP Pro computer. I got tired of AVG as it thought everything was malware or a virus.
Have Revo Uninstaller in there also, very rarely does this computer venture onto the internet, I have games in it. Giving something different a try. :smile2:

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts
I used AVG free for a long time but had to uninstall it because they were driving me nuts trying to force me to buy the upgrade. Maybe I should have but I hate being pressured.

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
I got rid of AVG "free" about a year ago when they kept pushing me so damn hard to upgrade to their Pro version.

I am now using AVAST free which is not bugging me to upgrade "right now" anyway.

I have tried Comodo a few years back, didn't stay with it for some reason. can't remember why.

I have a friend with 4 PCs that are on WinXP and all of them are on the internet.

they don't surf anywhere except to known sites that they frequent.
they have not had any problems at all, I also installed AVAST on their PCs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Windows XP is over 15 years old now. Some of the security concerns that your talking about have been included in newer distro's of Windows. It might be worth thinking about an upgrade. Windows 7 came with a security suite (A/V and firewall) as part of the base program.

I can understand riding old motorcycles, but software really needs to be up to date to maintain security. Of course you may need to update your hardware as well.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a Windows7 computer that is up to date and on the internet daily.
The XP one is primarily full of games. Older games and programs I use on that one.
It ventured onto the internet to get Comodo and that was it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one in the back is an Itronix Go Book III with XP Pro and the one in the front is a Toshiba Satellite L515-S4960 with Windows7.
The Itronix is a Mil-spec laptop and heavy too.
The AVG was getting annoying with asking to upgrade too, too pushy for me.

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditched Comodo for Avast. I wasn't happy with the way Comodo worked on XP. Seemed like it was a resource hog. With the Avast the computer starts faster and as a bonus I have the Avast SafeZone Browser. Took some PC games out of it also that I rarely played and left the 3 I do play and then defragmented the hard drive after taking them out. Used Revo Uninstaller to remove the games.

·
Administrator
57,474 Posts
Revo Uninstaller is superb tool as it will search for remnants of the programs that the manufacturers refuse to remove. I bought the pro version as it does a lot more than the free version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.