Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Its official the stator is dead.

12 volts at the battery, no increase on throttle increase.

Using MDKramers writeup I disconnected the stator and measured across the three yellow wires and got 0 volts for the first pair 3 volts for the second and 25 volts for the third pair at 3000 rpm.

I have a spare stator, so the motor comes out this weekend.

Peter

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ouch!!! Really cuts into that riding time, don't it? I don't envy you the job of doing all that work. Good luck on the spare stator being good and not a waste of time and labor.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Excellent time to install a Poorboy upgrade!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
Yep, I'ld go the Poorboy.

I hope to one day upgrade to a 1500 or an 1800 and set my 1200 up for longdistance rides. The Poorboy would be a necessary thing to be able to light up the night time roads with some HID lights.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
I had thought about doing the Poorboy upgrade but my bike has the Vetter faring and the alternator would not be covered, So I opted for the Stator replacment. I also have a spare replacement statorfrom the old motor that is known to be good.

Peter

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The surgery was a success. The Stator has been replaced and the bike is now charging at close to 15 volts at 3,000 rpm.

I replaced the neutral switch while the engine was out and now have a working neutrallight for the first time since I've owned the bike.

I have purchased a Honda marine volt meter that I am going to mount in the faring so I can keep an eye on how well the battery is charging. This meter is 2 inch round weather proof and says Honda on so I think it will look OEM, best of all it cost $14 at the local Honda outboard dealer.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.