Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Fellow Wingers,

I may have bitten off more than I can chew but here is the status.

:doh:

I purchased a 1981 GoldWing GL1100 Interstate that was in rough but driving condition back in July. I had been riding it daily until the weather turned off cold and have been gathering all the parts and upgrades I want to accomplish over the winter.

:shock:

These include:
  • A replacement set of front forks that I want to rebuild before installing. New seals backing rings and dust seals
  • Replace the timing belts
  • Replace the speedometer sending unit and cable
  • Replace and rewire the thermal switch so the fan works automatically
  • Replace the standard Clarion I unit with a Clarion II including Intercom, CB and Cassette and run headset cables for driver and passenger. The unit includes the dash control instrument panel.
  • Add on-board compressor (from a GL1200a) to allow adjustment of the shocks front and rear
  • Replace valve covers and adjust valves
  • New plugs
  • Replace all fluids and filters
  • Replace rear brake shoes
  • Install new wiring harness (GL1200 to add the connections for the Clarion unit)
  • Replace rear shocks and exhaust (already done)
  • Synch carbs
  • Install various new chrome pieces that I have accumulated
There is also some body work to do and a paint job will be required. Most of the body work is minor except the fairing. There is a rather major crack just under the windshield on the drivers left side that will need repair.

All of the body parts are already removed and stripped of all trim and emblems. The bike is basically disassembled and some of the repairs completed or in progress. All of the required parts have been purchased and are either here or on the way.

I love riding the bike and want it to be as nice as possible but not looking to build a show bike. It will still be a daily rider when I'm done. I ride it with the GWRRA, the Patriot Guard and the Moolah Shrine in parades supporting the Shriners Hospital for Children as well as just for the fun of it.

:hovering:

If there are any members or readers in the St Louis area that would like to lend a little assistance, I would be so very appreciative. The bike is in a heated basement with a pretty full set of tools power, air and hand.

PM me for exact location if you would be willing to help out.

Thanks to all the members of the Forum for all the expert advise and encouragement. Your help has been invaluable.

:bowing:

I am really anxious to see this fine lady up and running in tip top shape again soon. Merry Christmas to all of you and have a safe and happy holiday season.

:toast: :santawaving:

Ray
:11ltblue:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Ray,
That is a lot to replace. Are all of them broken? If it was not broke, I would not do anything with those parts, except the belts, fluids, fork seals, wiring, tires, tune up, etc.... just regular manual maintence. Remember the old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seems like you want to have a nice bike, and I don't blame you, but doing all of this at one time is a lot to chew. I would check with the Prevoius owner and see when belts etc have ever been changed.I do mine as it comes up, and chart it, so I can have a running record of when I done it, so I can do it when needed, and not have to do it all again at one time. Sounds like you got it on the right direction though. If I were you, I would also add an oil dipstick from JCWhitney, around 20 Bucks but well worth it.

In simpler terms, I'd change what was most important, ride it a while to get the little gremlins out first (There will be many) and then start doing one item at a time. This way, you won't burn yourself out. One more thing, DO NOT use the clymer manual. 32,000 Miles, your's has not even been broke in good yet. I started mine out at 43, 700 miles.

I'll tell you what though, that's a prodject that I would love to get into. I went through mine from the ground up (except the rear tire) in 3 months, rushing to try to make it to Nassir1 rally in Calhoun, Ga. , and I did not get to where I wanted to on my bike, but I did get to make the Rally.

I'm doing the rest this winter, but my shed isn't insulated, Got heat, and it can get pretty warm. I wish I had about a good 18x18 workspace, and I'd tear mine down as far as I could, and re-do it. In a way, I envy you. I'm only 507 miles away, one way. If I could afford it, I'd come and jump in. It would be like going through mine again.

Good Luck,

Merry Christmas,

Nightrider1

UPDATED QUESTION BELOW:

Ray,

Why don't you just rebuild the front forks. It would save you around a Hundred or more.

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Ray,

Sounds like a full winters project. As far as the Clarion II, you need a radio and wiring harness from an 82 or 83 GL1100. The 1200 had an entirely different radio, mounting and wiring. You can also get the compressor and wiring from an 82 or 83 Aspencade. They will fit onto your 81 without much trouble. The front forks that you use must be from an 80 or 81. If your forks are from an 82 or 83, you will need to use the brake components from the later years. I can give you more details on parts if you like. I may have some. Just ask here or PM.

John

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

See you didn't mention new tires? I would make sure my tread was good, old tires don't save lives.

Have fun and hope someone near ya can help you out:)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Dadoo,

Can you put a compressor and an air drier and sensoron an 80 GL1100 if you change out the air lines? I never thought of that.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

Dadoo wrote:
Ray,

Sounds like a full winters project. As far as the Clarion II, you need a radio and wiring harness from an 82 or 83 GL1100. The 1200 had an entirely different radio, mounting and wiring. You can also get the compressor and wiring from an 82 or 83 Aspencade. They will fit onto your 81 without much trouble. The front forks that you use must be from an 80 or 81. If your forks are from an 82 or 83, you will need to use the brake components from the later years. I can give you more details on parts if you like. I may have some. Just ask here or PM.

John

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I appreciate the info but...

The PO is not really available as The person I bought it from only had it a couple of months and decided it was too much bike for him. So there is no real idea on when the timing belts were changed and I would rather error on the side of prevention as the timing belts are so critical.

The front forks leak, have been rebuilt once and still leak, so out they go for replacements.

The tires are in very good shape with plenty of tread and no visible cupping or uneven wear so they should run at least another season.

I still have the original wiring harness from the bike but thought I would need additional connections for the CB and Cassette. Either way I think I'm covered.

The thermal switch is already done but the wiring is a bit frayed and I will redo that as I put things back together. The fan never did work automatically. It would overheat if I got caught in traffic. It ran and cooled just fine as long as I was moving. I finally hooked up an external switch so I could turn on the fan manually when needed but don't want to leave it that way.

The speedometer worked originally but went out on me just a month ago. Picked up a replacement sending unit and cable on eBay.

The rear brakes seem to work but they have always squealed badly even though they don't appear top have excessive wear. Front pads are fine.

The bike looked really strange with a chrome valve cover on one side and a black one on the other, so a replacement set (matching) were purchased and as long as I have the covers off I figured it couldn't hurt to adjust the valves.

Synching the carbs is the only thing that might not really be needed but again, I can't see where it would hurt.

I already have the oil dipstick out the front near the radiator. It was nice touch added by the PO. The bike laready had alot of nice options. Lots of chrome and lights, floorboards, heel-toe shifter, etc. It was just not as well maintained as I would like.

The PO actually had rigged the right side exhaust to feed over to the left side only and all four cylinders were feeding out of one tail pipe. That was one of the first things replaced when I got it.

Its a lot to do but I have all winter.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1,

You could put the compressor on your 80 if you get the mounts, controls, air lines and wiring from a later (82,82) GL1100.

John

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You might consider swapping the whole 1982 front end/wheel on the bike. 1982 front forks more oil and the 1982 wheel uses Gl110-1200 (1982-87) tires. 1981 front tires are not as easy to buy.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

If you haven't got your forks yet then go to www.frankmain.qpg.com & talk to the folks at Franks Fork Tubes. All they do is fork tubes & they do it very well.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

John,

Thanks. I was wondering if it could be done, but I really cannot afford to do the project. I know of an 82 I could purchase right now for one thousand, but I'ds have to buy both, at 1,000 ea, and I know I cannot go that route. The man had a car wreck8 months ago, and one (82) is decked out to the max. It will need a paint job though. At Least, Not unless I won the lottery, and If I done that, I'd buy all of my forum friends I have met on here a new Wing. I guess I will (and want) to stay original as posible on my 80.

On Mine, I took the front chrome air/sucker (Thets what I call it) that curves up on the front bottom part of the bike in front of the oil and water below the radiator and put me an oil dipstick in. I would have cut out a new hole for it, but there was not enough thread for the bolts. They were too short for everything, so I had to sacrifice something. Someone already had itmarked the dipstick for a GL1100. I got it at NASSIR1 in Calhoun. It probably was one of the best purchases I've ever bought. I miss my Curved Chrome Protector though. Really gave the bike a nice look.

Thanks,

Nightrider1

Dadoo wrote:
Nightrider1,

You could put the compressor on your 80 if you get the mounts, controls, air lines and wiring from a later (82,82) GL1100.

John

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes, mine has the scoop also but the PO had already installed the dipstick and cut the hole in the scoop so its really a nice setup.

I already have the replacement forks bought as well as the new seals, backing rings and dust seals. I just need to do the rebuild and figure out how to connect the on-board compressor to them so I can fill and empty as required.

Wheel bearings look very good, must have been replaced at some point. I have the new speedometer sending unit and cable so that's taken care of. I would like to add the spacer to the handlebars that sets them a little higher and a little further back but haven't been able to get that yet.

I've got all the fluids drained and the new oil filter on but need to set the valves before installing the new valve covers and getting the oil back in her. I will also probably have to wait until the timing belts are done so I can put the radiator assembly and all back as the dip stick (which is also the drain plug) has to go through the scoop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.