Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Looking and reading on forums, I found many ways to do an aux input for an IPOD or various sources. WHAT is the best some are quite simple juste soldering 3 wires others involves swiches and more is it worth it is the 3 wire good enough or is the full mod the best?????? THX. :)

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I did the modification on mine a couple years ago using the switch and relay. Works really well and not very hard to do if you are good with a soldering iron. I think it gives the best quality sound but the wired FM modulator is a good way to go also. I wouldn't do the three wires to the cassette deck for my aux input. You will have to have a blank tape in the unit with the motor and gears turning inside the tape deck. That wears out stuff quickly.
HERE is an article by one of the members here (Rudy) describing various options for the aux input. The option using the FM modulator is probably the easiest and quick way of doing it and it sounds pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx Larry

Last summer I did put a FM modulator and there is a hisss noise and sound quality is not at the best I say its parly done by the modulator itself and I am not sure about the quality of the tuner so now I wanna go for the best without changing radio.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Could it be the modulator you got causing the hiss? I have a FM modulator in my truck that I think sounds good with my ipod or iphone playing through it. It is the kind that connects to the bottom of the ipod and keeps it charged while playing. It might be my old ears that doesn't mind the sound but it sounds ok to me. I'm not sure you could tell much difference in the sound while riding at speed. The road noise drowns out the radio sound to some extent.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya Larry your write betewen song and when I slow down on hi volume the hiss is very noticeable. I have an EQ and an AMP in the back truck that amplifies everyting including bad noises lol. Last summer I pluged the IPOD directly into the AMP the soud was purfect and this is more what I am looking for I am not shure to go with the 3 wires or the complete with relay and all .....

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
I have used the scosche inline FM modulator and had excellent results. I had the old FM-MOD01 but the FM-MOD02 is a better setup. No issue with sound quality. You might have been experiencing some ground loop issues. One thing I did have to do though was add a Noise Isolator like THIS ONE in between the audio source and the FM modulator. That cured a lot of the noise I was originally getting. It connects right to the Scosche FM modulator and mine came with a 3.5mm adapter to plug into your audio source.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used the scosche inline FM modulator and had excellent results. I had the old FM-MOD01 but the FM-MOD02 is a better setup. No issue with sound quality. You might have been experiencing some ground loop issues. One thing I did have to do though was add a Noise Isolator like THIS ONE in between the audio source and the FM modulator. That cured a lot of the noise I was originally getting. It connects right to the Scosche FM modulator and mine came with a 3.5mm adapter to plug into your audio source.
Its exactely what I have on mine It works to what its suppose to deliver but still its going thrue the tuner.The ground loop isolator is part of a speaker to line level converter before the EQ... Last summer I plugged my Ipod direcly into my rear EQ and amp and the sound was PURE I guess I am a fussy audio guy lol. Thanks,,,:eek:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Well Norm, it appears you will not be satisfied with anything less than the radio modification for the aux input. Gather up the materials and parts necessary for the job and set aside a few hours for the project. I think the parts cost me around $15 or $20. About all you need is the relay, switch, wire, solder and a few hand tools.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey hey Larry you are write,,, Now I know for sure what to do,, thanks to all of you I have my 97 and buddy's 94 to do Thaks again

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Just a quick and freebie thing. Where are you setting the volume at normal listening? If the radio goes to 25, is your normal listening volume 8-10 or something low? My thinking is hiss, especially using an amp is too high of gain at the amp. Try turning the amp's gain down and turning the volume up. You'll have the same volume at the speakers but less noise.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yess Bill,,,,, I understand the point,,, The volumes on,,, all from speaker to line level modulator ,the EQ, and AMP are all at approx 30%, thanks that is a good point. I can hear a hisss from the tuner or a frequency, there is never a silence. I go to work in town with the bike and do not go on hiway a lot so no hi speed to cover it up and am fussy on sound..... Lol

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I agree with Stu and the rest... The radio mod provides the best sound... Did it on my previous 1500 and my MP3's never sounded so good - that's the way to go...

Les

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.