Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First of all thanks to all forum members, you folks are awesome.
My post is not directly aimed at GW's.

I am re-financing the homestead, as a resultI have both bikes, 1998 Aspencade and 2002 HD Ultra Classic for sale. When the dust settles, lower mtg payments and no bike to ride.

About us:
My wife and I tip the scales at 550, she likes comfort, I like performance.
I see myself as a motorcyclist, not tied to a certain brand or model.
Budget 10-12k
I like a bike that performs very well, lots of power, power is useless unless you have the ability to safely use it. I have said a bike should stop as well as it accelerates. Cornering, stability are a must i.e. no high speed wobbles, feet up slow speed maneuvering.
Low maintenance/upkeep is a huge factor.

We are considering:
Valkyrie 1500 Interstate, never rode one.
GL1800 we rented one for three days, very nice, felt cramped compared to the 1500.
Another Gl1500
Others?

Your feedback is appreciated

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
imported post

when they made the 1800 they did lets say downsize a little... add more power and hence the rocket-ship 1800 as I like to say ..I'm also 5'8 so the 1800 is not cramped for me... but if your tall it can be an issue... the Gl 1500 is a Cadillac ..more room in seating as well as luggage capacity... try one much different than a Valkyrie

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Buy what comfortable

We have an 03 1800 and yes it felt cramped(6'2" @ 270) so I purchase a new seat made a world of difference. Highway boards also make room for me to stretch when I need to. Lots of great seats out there. Just my opinion, fuel injection, plenty of poop, when needed. Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I (6'4 " 255lb) rode a 2000 GL1500 with a Russell day-long for years and now ride a 2006 GL1800. For me the 1800 is better, maybe not as roomy but plenty of room. By far must comfortable bike I ever rode two-up was a Harley Ultra

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I've thought maybe a Valk .... or a well maintained used Triumph Rocket III 2300?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
...About us:
My wife and I tip the scales at 550, she likes comfort, I like performance.
I see myself as a motorcyclist, not tied to a certain brand or model.
Budget 10-12k
I like a bike that performs very well, lots of power, power is useless unless you have the ability to safely use it. I have said a bike should stop as well as it accelerates. Cornering, stability are a must i.e. no high speed wobbles, feet up slow speed maneuvering.
Low maintenance/upkeep is a huge factor.

Sounds to me that you're describing a Goldwing 1800.:applause:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Will be picking up our 'new to us' 2001 GL1800

The stars are in alignment today.

After much searching for the perfect balance of bike, cost, condition that is suitable for my discerning taste, having only a beer budget.
I will be picking up 'Old Yeller' in a day or so, a garage kept original owner pristine yellow GL1800 with 23,xxx miles in near showroom condition.

It's been a long time coming, I recall taking my first ride on a 1800.

It was a nice day in spring, Honda was promoting test rides at a honda at a dealer. The wife and I rode our trusty champagne color 1500 SE to Huntington Beach CA Honda to ride the new next generation wing. It was a totally different, a huge sport bike built with luxury and comfort in mind. I gave it an aggressive twist on the seeming limitless throttle, which resulted in my wife pounding on my back. I can still hear her yelling "PULL OVER I'M WALKING BACK, as I proceeded to evaluate the brakes. She was not impressed at all.

I promised her to keep it mellow; I then was instructed to test the low speed handing and to return to the dealer immediately.

I fell in love with it, It just seemed right, like the perfect bike, power, handling, comfort, futuristic style, bells, whistles. I thought to myself one day you will be mine.

I don't yet know what are some of the best things are to do to it, or what one must know about a 2001 GW. feel free to post, so you can smart'en me up.

Keep the shiny side up bros,..

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,610 Posts
I like long winded, but then if you ever read any of my posts, you will see that I never get over 5 or 6 words in them :ROFL:

Glad you finally got your dream bike. Now it is time to hit the road and enjoy it.

Welcome back to your forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.