·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

my thoughts exactly dennis, that would be one of those ill go to the bank with you with the money to get the title, thats how we got our current bike...

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I would think his wifes name might be on the title. Could create problems getting a new title.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I would think his wifes name might be on the title. Could create problems getting a new title.
Leading cause of divorce is marrage. I'm thinkin' along the same lines, maybe tryin' to keep the wife's hands off it, but with the way that one's written it could well bestolen.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Way to good to be true and pain-free. Those kind of deals always frighten me, and usually end up in a mess.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

This one Scam is on Craigslist in over a dozen cities. Bike is supposed to be in a crate,
and they will ship it to you.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well, he only owes $175 on it, offer to pay $200 deposit so he can get clear title, and upon receipt of clear title in hand you will pay the rest of the money.

I'd almost bet you would loose your $200!
Either that or he'd have an excuse why he won't take your $200 and hold it and want more money upfront!

Course then again if it is a scam, he may figure scam 10 people out of $200 each and $2000 is an easy profit.

It's such a real shame we really cannot just trust each other very often anymore!

Around here on the forum we pretty much can, but I mean in other real life we can't!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

One way to find out if it's stolen or not, is to have the local Police there when you're there to look at the bike. While you're there you can ask the Police to run theVIN to see if it is stolen.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

In most countries you would need to make specific allegations for the police to go along and investigate. Suspicions alone won't cut it, and could get someone sued if the suspicions proved groundless.
My advice is if you think the deal feels wrong, just keep away from it.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
In most countries you would need to make specific allegations for the police to go along and investigate. Suspicions alone won't cut it, and could get someone sued if the suspicions proved groundless.
My advice is if you think the deal feels wrong, just keep away from it.
+1

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Just remember to have the correct spelling of the Nigerian Prince you are buying that bike from when making out the check. He will send the money, I mean bike, when he gets his lottery winnings. Ooops, I meant the title.

You will have plenty of time to get the garage cleaned out waiting for this one to arrive.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

ThirdCoaster414 wrote:
Just remember to have the correct spelling of the Nigerian Prince you are buying that bike from when making out the check. He will send the money, I mean bike, when he gets his lottery winnings. Ooops, I meant the title.

You will have plenty of time to get the garage cleaned out waiting for this one to arrive.
:ROFL:

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

A lot of the scammer flags are not there. It might very well be an honest deal. If I were interested I would call to make arrangements to see the bike, then take him and the bike to the bank to get the title and the release. Of course these days there is no telling where the bank may actually have the title stored so prior arrangements might have to be made on that part.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

the bike seems to need extensive repairs plus the cash. it also has 150000 miles. it seems to me thats about all the bike is worth. walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I would bet the deal to be honest..... But, here's the problem.

People like this, when not a scam, and when honest, don't really have the best chances of following-up and making the situation correct.

Once they have $X,XXX in their hands, their interest in correcting any woes, clearing liens, signing DMV paperwork, or whatever else becomes necessary goes to zero.

Divorce proceedings, potentially moving, dealing with a bitter ex-spouse, all make it to the point that your bike and bill-of-sale will be non-registerable for some time. You may, eventually, have to even sell it on paper to a friend out-of-state in a more forgiving state, to "wash" the woes away, then register it in your home state.

That said, the price is right, given the potential problems. And I give it 80% chance this is all true. No scam, no Nigerian Prince, just a guy who has a paper-distressed Goldwing and needs cash.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

hard call
I bought my 90 1500 this summer for $2000 realy good price for up here.
I was a little aprehensive when I saw the add seemed to be to good of a deal. fully loaded 1500 just back from 4000 mile tri ready to ride just needed tires.
I went and looked at it and made the deal guy was for real.
The part about the divorce and sending the papers scares me make shure to have that stratned out before you give him cash
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I say no biggie, just call the bank and make arrangement for them to send you the title when they get the check. Pretty normal procedure and the price is about right for that bike. It needs work, $$$, and TLC. Great buy for the right buyer, and that amout should be obtainable for anyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.