Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought some replacement bulbs of my Trip navigator.

Not happy with the brightness of them.

I was looking at these. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/998/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ZW5gMC15gIVwCCtBh1HVAZTEAQYASABEgK48vD_BwE

Some LED's I have tried in the past, just weren't as bright as incandescent bulbs.

Has anyone converted from incandescent to LED sockets?.

What are your thoughts of the brightness of the LED's?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been following the experiences of others for a while and have learned that LED lights are more directional than incandescent bulbs. Depending on the design, and there may be many different designs, all being listed as a replacement for the same incandescent part number. So, it's just by chance that one will work as good or better, or perhaps not good at all. I tried some H3 LED 50watt equivalent bulbs for the OEM fog lights on my GL1800. Very disappointing as compared to the stock 35watt H3 bulbs. Needless to say, I went back to stock 35watt halogen bulbs for now. I have since learned that Pathfinder makes a CREE LED H3 bulb that is brighter than stock and make for a better daytime attention getter, however the light pattern as a fog light is not as good as stock halogens. The other thing that may sound strange is that with LED bulbs you need to use a red LED behind a red lens as for a tail/brake light and an amber LED for amber lenses such as turn signals. That's the nature of LEDs as they are a different type of light.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm well aware of the differences between the two designs. I have a box of junk I bought as a "Lets try these" that didn't please me!!

If you've never opened a SEI/LTD Nav computer, Then you wouldn't understand the closeness of the incandescent bulbs to the clear plexiglass pathway to the face board,to broadcast the bulbs light.

I'm toying with a different color illumination as well as a tad brighter.

I can see a call to superbrights is in order. 😎

1 - 3 of 3 Posts