Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all! I'm a newbe from michigan. This week purchased not running Sei that has been sitting for 2 years.My quandary is when i direct wire fuel pump i hear it clicking and the bike starts.But when i plug into ECU connector i hear the pump clicking but doesn't start or run! What could this be? This doesn't make sense it me.The fuel pump getting power both ways.

Also i'm not doing to well on fuses. #3(tail lite/corn lite) and #7 (parking) do not have any power.

Does anyone have these problems too?

Help!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

If you're sure it's getting power either way (IE it's humming for a few seconds after turning the key on) then maybe polarity? :?. Maybe crack the banjo on the outlet side and see if it's pressurizing when connected to the ecu (wrap a rag around it and only kick it on briefly, DON'T START THE BIKE, just put the key in the on possition with the kill switch on).

Also, it could be the relay or the suply to the relay (you did say you were having problems with the fuse block). With it hard wired you bypass that.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

perhaps you are hearing the relay clicking when plugged into the ecu don't envy you fuelinjeted wings are a pain to get runnin
wilf

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

brobbed wrote:
Hi all! I'm a newbe from michigan. This week purchased not running Sei that has been sitting for 2 years.My quandary is when i direct wire fuel pump i hear it clicking and the bike starts.But when i plug into ECU connector i hear the pump clicking but doesn't start or run! What could this be? This doesn't make sense it me.The fuel pump getting power both ways.

Also i'm not doing to well on fuses. #3 (tail lite/corn lite) and #7 (parking) do not have any power.

Does anyone have these problems too?

Help!

Brobbed you almost certainly have a problem with the secondary 30 amp mainfuse. Not the main 30 amp dogbone that is situated on the starter solenoid next to the battery. The secondary 30 amp is just behind and inboard of the starter solenoid. This feeds the CFI main relay (among others)which is likely preventing starting since it has no power. (Likely your air compressor and brake lights may be inop as well.)

Further...

fuse #3 derives it's power through the taillight relay but first from this same 30 amp fuse.

fuse #7 only gets power with key in "park" so likely that is normal and not related.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and don't listen to the naysayers of fuel injection...

WILF!...LOL. I don't envy them having to dig through their carbs!

:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Oh, and welcome to the forum and don't listen to the naysayers of fuel injection...

:ROFL:

Call me crazy, but I'm with Wingsam41 on this, them carbs are enough to drive anyone to drink. I didn't know there was a second 30 amp fuse in the line, good to know for the future.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

i'd love Fi but the honda system is old and parts are hard to come by. As for carbs clean them once little cost if they have not sat for to many yrs dy and you good to go. Passed on real nice 84 or 85 from the guy I bought my 1500 from he had it a number of yrs but never could get it to run.started fine and would run to operating temp then shut itself down.
wilf

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

...was just funnin with ya Wilf, but seriously there are far more parts no longer sold by mother Honda than just the fuel injection stuff for these old bikes. I haven't had any issues finding these parts on ebay or similar and this forum is a perfectplace to helpout. Anyone who buys a 20+ year old bike is daft anyway.

:gunhead:

You say you passed on a bike for a fuel injection problem. I'd be willing you may have done the same for a bike with a carb problem. I, for one, loathe the idea of purchasing a bike that doesn't run right after the PO "rebuilt" the carbs...finding out what's done wrong, what parts are missing etc.Point is working out a fuel injection fault is much easier than most people make it out to be.

Right about now I'm beginning to wonder what's happening with brobbed and his SEI...mine's running like a top but it's getting a bit niply out...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Keep in mind you have to have a completed circuit you might not be getting a ground.By chance is it switched in the ECU?
instead of B+?

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

There is a fuel pump shut off sensor (bank angle sensor on later models) but I can not tell from the picture where it is located.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Hey and welcome to the site. One thing you will need that will make your life a lot easier is the LTD, SEi, supplement manual. Now, plug everything up the way it is supposed to be and turn on the key and check the ECU for codes. Are you sure that it is fuel you are not getting when the pump is plugged into ECU or is it not getting fire?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I have had a look at my SEi ETM. Also have seen this problem pop up before. Have a look at the power distribution. As I stated in the 4th post the CFI main relay and #3 fuse both get powered by the secondary dogbone (30 amp). Dave you are correct that the SEi has a fuel shut off sensor which interrupts the ground for the CFI main relay #4. However that would not account for power loss on fuse #3 which is fed from same secondary dogbone. He mentions that inhis first post. He also points out no power at fuse #7, however this fuse is only powered with key in "park" so likely not related and not actually a problem.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:

:ROFL:

Call me crazy, but I'm with Wingsam41 on this, them carbs are enough to drive anyone to drink.  I didn't know there was a second 30 amp fuse in the line, good to know for the future.
I am also with Wingsam41. I love my fuel injected Wing. It starts right up on the first time, every time. When you hit the throttle, instant go! No hesitation. Once you get it running right, you will love the bike.
And, welcome to the website. Anything you need to know about your Wing, you will find on this website. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

it would seem that the ecu run trace has failed....it prob needs replacing, as i am a picker as in pickler... i would tear it down to its pc board and check all the rotten traces...but i have not worked on one of these and dont know the construction nor the chip architecture....also fyi some rectifiers are filled with silicone gel and you cant get to the components without digging for a month

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

thanks everyone. couldn't work on wing today. wingspan makes sense to my. it's suggested to me by neoracer to change dogbones to solder 30A ATO fuse from auto store. isn't the main fuse a double dogbone, the sub-fuse would be the 3rd ATO fuse? correct? then, i plan looking real good at the "tail-lite relay", too, as it feeds #3 fuse.
Question: when replacing spark plugs, do you suggest NGK dp 8ea-9 or the more expensive dp 8eix-9?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
...was just funnin with ya Wilf, but seriously there are far more parts no longer sold by mother Honda than just the fuel injection stuff for these old bikes. I haven't had any issues finding these parts on ebay or similar and this forum is a perfectplace to helpout. Anyone who buys a 20+ year old bike is daft anyway.

:gunhead:

You say you passed on a bike for a fuel injection problem. I'd be willing you may have done the same for a bike with a carb problem. I, for one, loathe the idea of purchasing a bike that doesn't run right after the PO "rebuilt" the carbs...finding out what's done wrong, what parts are missing etc.Point is working out a fuel injection fault is much easier than most people make it out to be.

Right about now I'm beginning to wonder what's happening with brobbed and his SEI...mine's running like a top but it's getting a bit niply out...
The first 2 wings i bought needed the carbs gone threw. They did not need kits as they had not sat for along time so orings were fine. The 1500 was the first wing that I have bought that was ready to ride. It was a nice change. But working on the older 2 wings to get them running right was a lot of fun. The 1200 sei is still there I imagine and it keeps calling me but I'm fihting MBS right now and the wife would kill me if I brought anoher non runner home.

Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

brobbed wrote:
thanks everyone. couldn't work on wing today. wingspan makes sense to my. it's suggested to me by neoracer to change dogbones to solder 30A ATO fuse from auto store. isn't the main fuse a double dogbone, the sub-fuse would be the 3rd ATO fuse? correct? then, i plan looking real good at the "tail-lite relay", too, as it feeds #3 fuse.
Question: when replacing spark plugs, do you suggest NGK dp 8ea-9 or the more expensive dp 8eix-9?
Brobbed, you must be typing an an auto text device-Wingspan would make a cool nickname or even a cool forum name-don't think I've seen that one yet...

The 30 amp sub fuse will correct the #3 fuse issue-likely no need to look at the taillight relay as power for #3 fuse only runs through it or is controlled by it but derives upstream from the 30 amp sub-fuse. The relay itself is likely operating and gets powered via the key switch.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

thanks wingsam, looks like updating both dogbones is tops on my list. do you think as, dave suggusted, the ground is interupted by "fuel shut-off" sensor, why would fp run when plugged into ecu? but not start. it shouldn't run without ground, true? while trying to start w/fp plugged to ecu, should i test the ground on fp body or in the connector while cranking? can i short out or ground out the "fuel shut-off" sensor would it start? please keep in mind that i have no led codes. it almost seems like the kill switch is on but it is in the run position. :?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

thanks wingsam for all your help. sorry for typo. wingspan is a nice handle, especially since it's connected to my favorite band, paul mccartney's "Wings" his best album being "Wingspan". i haven't figured out how to change my handle on this site yet.:321:

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

Guess I didn't read your original post close enough. Another theory is maybe the ECU is not getting full power and when it is sharing power with the fuel pump, there is not enough power available so when you wire the pump to another source the injectors and ignition can then operate.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I have never worked on a wing that had an electric fuel pump before but I assume the engine has to be cranking before the fuel pump will run not just the key on. Not shure if this would be controled by vacumm or the ECU

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.