Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All :waving:

I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to join the fun.Seems like a good group here. I like to fiddle with mine even if there isn't a problem just to see what makes it tick. Hmmmm...... maybe I should have bought a harley ;)

My problem isn't bad yet.It's more on the order for next winters to-do list, I hope. Since I bought the '86 Sei a year ago, I get a smell of a bad fuel/air mixture on strong downshifts or shutting down the throttle at the higher speeds (70+). It canreally getstrong at times. Other than that, it runs like a top. Leaves my riding buddies on their harleys in the dust. The lights on thecomputerall read ok. It's had a new air cleaner and plugs and the mmo treatment. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wildman wrote:

I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to join the fun.Seems like a good group here. I like to fiddle with mine even if there isn't a problem just to see what makes it tick. Hmmmm...... maybe I should have bought a harley ;)

My problem isn't bad yet.It's more on the order for next winters to-do list, I hope. Since I bought the '86 Sei a year ago, I get a smell of a bad fuel/air mixture on strong downshifts or shutting down the throttle at the higher speeds (70+). It canreally getstrong at times. Other than that, it runs like a top. Leaves my riding buddies on their harleys in the dust. The lights on thecomputerall read ok. It's had a new air cleaner and plugs and the mmo treatment. Any ideas?
wildman, that is the smell of partially or incompletely burnt fuel. Usually something like that is caused by a small amount of fuel remaining in the cylinders or fuel vapors being pulled in through either the crankcase vent or fuel tank vent system.

If your Wing is a California sold bike then start with the emission control vent system. If it's a non California bike then maybe a dripping injector or possibly amalfunctioning TPS (throttle position sensor) that doesn't show the computer a clean return to base idle. There are lots of other possibilities like worn valve guides, or worn rings allowing crankcase fumes into the high vacuum decel process. I'm not familiar with the exhaust emissions on that injected bike but if your bike has one maybe suspect a failed afterburn shut-off system.

I guess the place to start is with a shop manual, then go through the entire emission system & check that out, then maybe verify the TPS is reading correctly & the injectors are shutting off cleanly at closed throttle.

Lets see what the other posters have to say here also.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wildman wrote:

Thanks!
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, wildman!:waving::waving:

The SEI really is a great bike, I sold mine a few months ago to go to a 1500. I never had the problem you seem to be experiencing. Twisty has good advice and is probably closer to the solution, but I'm wondering if you have a fuel leak, shutting the throttle when the fuel pump is running hard just might force a leak somewhere. One thing that makes me wonder is that if it's unburned fuel going out the tail pipe, you shouldn't be able to smell it, normally it would be carried away as it is at other times such as when accellerating. I really like my 1500, but that fuel injected 4 cylinder was sure a performer, the extra 300ccs on my current bike aren't enough to make the difference, I don't think I'd have a chance off the line against the SEI. HDs beware!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys for the input. Twisty has the to-do list for me. I lean towards the anti-afterburn valve myself but it's a &#*% to get to. I like Rocky's solution the best though, it's what I've been doing so far. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.