Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here.
So, I am trying to get a 1977 GL1000 back on the road. The bike is in pristine condition. Stored inside.
The engine is seized, and no matter what I do, it just won't turn over.
-The bike is in neutral.
-Pulled the cylinder heads cause I need to change the gaskets.
-Found some coolant inside cylinders.
-Tried to put the bike on 5th gear and move it back and forth. (Didn't work)
-Removed the engine. Sit on a side and purred some penetrating oil on top of pistons. Let it do it's magic. Flip it over and did the other side. Both sides sit for a days. Nothing happened.
I used brake fluid, and still the same.
Used rubber mallet on pistons, still nothing.
Hot wired the starter, and it couldn't handle it.
What are my other options beside splitting the engine?
I am sure if all that didn't do anything, pulling the halves apart won't be easy.
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rocks. :waving:

I think you're on the right track but need to let the oil sit longer. Maybe you could take the back covers off and make sure nothing is going on with the clutch or stator.

Could you please fill in your profile. City, state and bike. Someone in your area may know of resources or be able to offer some hands-on help.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
What the years have done, cannot be fixed in a couple or three days even with good penetrating oil.

you are going to have to be VERY patient, and allow the penetrating fluid of choice to sit on top of those pistons for a couple of weeks.

The cylinders facing up, generously doused, and the engine oil sump filled with plenty of penetrating oil solution inside to help the other side pistons on the back end of each.....

let it sit for 3 weeks IMO, then turn the whole engine over, and repeat the whole process.

after the 2nd side is done, you should be able to use a mallet and a wooden 4x4 or smaller, what ever will cover most of the pistons, and tap them fairly hard, each one in turn, don't try to turn the engine over just by hitting on one piston... that will break parts.

after each piston has had a turn at being tapped, use a break over wrench and start wiggling the crank shaft back and forth. the big rubber mallet, or a long 2x4 as a hammer will work good here.

don't get in a hurry with a sledge hammer, you will ruin the motor.

My brother once took a 283 Chevy V8 which had the manifolds removed, and it sat under a drain spout for a couple of decades.... he used this process to break the motor loose and very gently got it to moving.....

once it would turn a full revolution, he turned it over by hand many times.

then he fitted a starter to it, and ran that for a very long time with more penetrating oil....

then he put it together, started it up, and drove it for several years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, I will give those tips a try.
The kick starter was also jammed. So, I had to take apart, and with a help of a hammer and I was able to get it freed.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hum,wonder if it may have broken the primary chain?Pretty sure that would lock the motor,put a wrench on the front of the crank and try moving the motor.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Engine

If you want to ride the bike soon. I would look for a replacement engine to use until/if you get the original running.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
Hum,wonder if it may have broken the primary chain?Pretty sure that would lock the motor,put a wrench on the front of the crank and try moving the motor.

I think it is way premature to attempt that right now, and would risk unwinding the bolt on the crank if he tried to go backwards with the wrench

There is no valid reason, right now, to attempt to roll the engine over, until the solvents have had time to work.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
John,I think all the oil he has poured in the motor it SHOULD have done some movement by now,unless it is completely bonded piston to wall,with just the rings rusted up it seems like it should have moved some.Some caution will indeed be used to keep from more damage.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
John,I think all the oil he has poured in the motor it SHOULD have done some movement by now,unless it is completely bonded piston to wall,with just the rings rusted up it seems like it should have moved some.Some caution will indeed be used to keep from more damage.
PB Blaster worked great on rust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want to ride the bike soon. I would look for a replacement engine to use until/if you get the original running.

Rayjoe

I have other bikes to ride. My main ride is 1975 CB750F. Also, I fully restored a 1978 CB400T that was sitting in the woods for 20 years. You can imagine the condition of that bike. Surprisingly, the engine was that seized.

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,706 Posts
+1 on the PB Blaster penetrating fluid . It has worked very well for me in the past, but as John says ...dont rush it . I have also heard Kroil works well.

When tapping on the piston domes I think it may help to have an assistant with a wrench on the crank to help turn it .

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some good news,

I managed to free the engine after a long fight. And of course there was some rust, and corrosion built up at the end of the cylinders. I used some fine 2000 grit sand paper, and tried to smooth it down a bit. It feels smother with a touch of a finger.

Now, can I hone the cylinders while the pistons are inside, or am I talking crazy here?
Is there anything I should do before putting the engine back together, and place on the frame?

Thanks

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Some good news,

Now, can I hone the cylinders while the pistons are inside, or am I talking crazy here?
Is there anything I should do before putting the engine back together, and place on the frame?

Thanks
You could but be sure to wash the cylinders out really good. What do you have apart besides the heads? Have you checked the water pump, stator and clutch?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.