Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To buy, or not to buy; that is the question.

I have read all kinds of posts about bringing 'Wings that have been sitting a long time back into service. My specific concern is with engines that have been "stuck", and most likly because of moisture coming into the open valved cylinders. I would assume rusty rings and cylinder walls.

But her's where the rubber meets the road; if I get a good deal on a bike with the aformentioned stuck cylinder, does that automatically guarntee that the bike will burn oil exccessivly? Or, as Ive read in posts here on this site, will it smoke alot just at first few hundred miles, and then gradually stop and still last to a couple hundred thousand?

A freind of mine says that all he reads on this site is that you guys just go out and get another engine. What I remember reading is that the ones who work to get it freed up, ride it like ya stole it with no problems.

Could you guys help me out here? PLEEEZZZE?
Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

Well if you sure it's a cylinder thats stuck and you know witch it is I would fill that cylinder marvel oil and let it set for a week or two.. I would plain on pulling the engine apart though. If the rings are that rusted into the cylinder they will break when and if you get it running.This is a Honda engine, they are built very tight and thats why they are so good, not like a HD air cooled cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Maybe it can be fixed, maybe not. It would be a big gamble.

If you could get it for nothing, or close to that, you could get it with full knowledge that it may just be for parts. If you really like it you can always find a good engine to put in it.

If you just love working on them, and want a project bike to play with, you could do it. I'm just not into working on Wings. My GL1000 has been frustrating enough lately!

I'm sure that others with better experience will be along with better wisdom on the subject.

This is just my 2¢, and probably overpriced at that! :action:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

yep, depends on the price and overall condition... may or may not be worth it. Buy it "right" and "expect" to replace the engine, I'd go for it. Get her freed up and have a great deal!

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

My brother once took a Chevy 350 V8 engine that had been left sitting behind his shop for over 10 years.

No rags in the holes or anything.

He just poured in Marvel Mystery Oil in the thing and let it set for a week. Went out and put a big bar and socket on the crankshaft nut. Wiggled it a little bit and put in some more oil, turned it upside down and poured some MMO in the oil pan and left it set inside the pistons from the lower end.

Took a few weeks, don't remember anymore how long. But he got that motor to turn over completely by hand. Poured kerosene in the top side and spun it with a starter motor. Blew out all the sand on top. Refilled it with MMO and ran the starter motor until it started getting warm.

Let it cool, and run the starter again until it got warm again. Then he put it in a car and drove that car for years. The rings seated right back in w/o any smoke in a few thousand miles.

Getting a rusty motor going again just takes patience. Get in a hurry and you will break something. The cylinder walls don't really rust deep pits like you would think.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

AZ, all I can say to your reply is, WOW! Forwards and backwards, WOW!

My Dad did a good job of designing the SBChevy, didn't he? That would be a good story even if it weren't true.

Cylinder wall pits are what I've heard all the nay-sayers talk about, but I'm sure the metal composition of the SBChevy is much different than our 'Wings. Well, maybe not sure, but pretty sure. My $.02 on that is probably worth
$.0002. Whattayathink?

Well, keep the comments and opinions coming! I wanna know, because I have an inquiring mind!

Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
imported post

I forgot to mention, that before the starter is used to turn the engine over, the pan better be full of MMO oil so the oil system can pressure up and clean out the valve lifters.

The end point is, what have you got to loose with trying to free up a stuck engine?

A few quarts of MMO?

Me? I would go for the extra week or 3 or 5 that it takes to get that engine to roll over by hand and a breaker bar on the crankshaft.

I have seen it done more than once. My brother's story was just the worst case of success that I personally know about.

Don't try to replace/fix what ain't broke until you definitely know w/o a doubt that it is broke because a rod went through the block.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah, good point. "Sonny, don't did never fix what ain't done broke now, hear? Iffin ya doz, ya cud broke it worser!"

Sounds familiar? It do ta me. My big brother and mentor used to tell me that all the time.

Now, does putting MMO in the crankcase help with anything except making a BIG mess if you turn the engine over? I mean, upsidedown? In my experience, engines are designed to keep fluids from dripping out underneath......and there're so many holes on the top that you turn it over, you've just emptied your pan!

I understand you were just recounting a story of what your brother did, but it's not the first time I've read it on this forum. I would think that taking off the pan and using a small-tiped bottle, running the MMO around the skirt of the piston would work better. I dunno, maybe I'm making much outta nuthing, but I'm just saying......

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

A few years back one of my co-workers had a 302 V-8 in his pickup....It was missing bad on three cylinders, and the compression check said it was weak on all eight cylinders.....I drove to his house, pulled the heads, and found 3 really badly burnt valves and several more that were being to burn....Took them to my machine shop, had them totally rebuilt....

BUT!!!!! In the mean time Larry's wife decided to clean all the gunk out of the top of the engine, I had pulled the lifters and some were so covered in gunk, burnt oil, it was difficult to even find them....:shock:....Faye bought 2 gallons of kerosene, and cleaned all of that gunk out....I'm here to tell you it was a pretty sight....What nearly killed us was she used a huge box of Tide washing power, and water to finish her cleaning job.....

OK I get back to the truck, open the hood and everything is covered in a slight rust????...Then Faye told me what she had done....:shock::shock:....Immediately I went to the nearest hardware store and bought a wash tub....Pulled the drain plug and filed that 5 gallon pan three times!!!!!!!....Let it set over night to drip out....Next morning I took a 6 ft cheater pipe that engine is TOTALLY locked up.....Guy at the parts house told me to go buy a couple of 2 liter bottles of Pepsi?????...Then pour that Pepsi into each cylinder, let it set over night and wipe it out, then give it one more dose....

Monday after work went back to Larry's got my 6ft cheater pipe put it on the crank bolt, got a good grip and pushed as hard as I could down on it....That rust broke loose so fast I might near eat the block up.....I kept running that engine with that cheater pipe till it was real free, then used the starter to turn it over....I took some emery cloth, and polished each cylinder where the rings had rusted, I could have gone on with it but there were some circumstances at Larry's that I didn't want to be around...Larry was a good guy when he was sober, but he got drunk every night and then he got verbally abusive, I just wanted to get that job over and away from him at his house....At work the next day he had no idea of what he had said the night before.....

Mixed up a 50/50 blend of cheap oil, and kerosene, installed the new lifters, and heads.....It fired up right away, ran it for about an hour till that oil mixture turned black, then did it 4 more times less kerosene each time, till the oil ran clear....Old truck ran great no missed no knocks.....Told Larry to change the oil and filters every week till it was totally cleared out...That old truck ran another 100,000 miles before one of Larry's sons wrecked it.....

I would have never thought of using Pepsi or Coke to eat away the rust in those cylinders but it did work....I didn't figure we would ever get the oil to run clear either, but we did...The oil and filters cost him more than he expected, but Faye never washed another engine for us either.....

Just proves sometimes you gonna win, sometimes you gonna lose....But if you don't try, you won't know.....Good luck....

Claude.....

·
Administrator
24,385 Posts
imported post

I bought 2 1100s last year that had sat outside for 5 years, both were stuck. One didn't even have any carbs on it and believe it or not it broke loose very easily by putting the trans in gear and rocking the bike back and forth. The other one was a little more trouble but finally got it loose and they are both running well now with no smoking.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
imported post

When I was just a kid helping my dad we broke two tractor engines loose much the same way as AZ described took awhile but both broke lose. Now granted the one had to be honed and re-ringed because of one cylinder and they are much lower tolerance engines than a wing but if time versus money works for you it can be done.

[ farming some times you spend allot of time to save a dollar but no better training for later life]

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

It's a gamble and you might luck put. If you are getting the engine for free, all you will be out is a bit of time and work.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

beertap tom wrote:
It's a gamble and you might luck put. If you are getting the engine for free, all you will be out is a bit of time and work.
That's common sense talking. :clapper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.