Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be selling my 1984 Goldwing.
I don’t want prospective buyers riding off down the road. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
I never let anyone ride one I'm selling without the money in my hand.

·
1,716 Posts
Listen to DaveO430 .
A friend of mine had an motorcycle for sale and a guy asked for a test ride. The guy left his expensive car in my friends drive so my friend thougth "no problem" .
After some hours my friend got worried and called the police , - the "expensive" car was stolen and the insurange compagny on the motorcycle refused to help because my friend has lented it out !

·
Ole Guy
171 Posts
Here is a thought, just take them for a ride and run it thought the gears to demonstrate it works as well as you say. Minimal risk in that. If they do not agree, let them move on. You and your bike are protected.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,171 Posts
I agree, take them for a ride and let them feel that the bike shifts like it should with an "experienced rider" on it.

if they have problems, it is their shifting technique, not a bike problem. Plus, you retain control of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I always have them give me the cash first, if they ride it and don't want it I give the cash back, if they ride it and drop it, they just bought a bike. I do the same when I go to buy one, I always let the seller hold the cash

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
We had a member, some time ago, that took only cash for his bike. Turned out to be bad money. I guess you could always go to your bank and have it examended by a teller before the deal was done.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
We had a member, some time ago, that took only cash for his bike. Turned out to be bad money. I guess you could always go to your bank and have it examended by a teller before the deal was done.
Good plan. I had a guy pay me for a bike with $50 bills, I was a little nervous about them but they were good.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Darn it, say one sells a newer bike for 10K. Who walks around with that sort of cash on?
Id say, you kind of have to feel your buyer. Ask questions. Ask for his DL and take a pic of it. You want proof that he has ridden recently a heavier bike.
I wouldn't buy an older bike without riding it and certainly I wouldn't pay cash for it.
Remember, the buyer has his own risk. You could kill or rob him, sell him a stolen bike or sell him a junk.
My two sens and cents too

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
When I bought my '93, the seller (an attorney) did just that, took a picture of my driver license and invited me to take the bike for a ride. I was gone about 15 mins or so.

He had the option of hopping on his GL1800 and following me, but just continued working on a dirt bike clutch in his garage instead......

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,790 Posts
Good plan. I had a guy pay me for a bike with $50 bills, I was a little nervous about them but they were good.
I recently sold my Rune for cash money. $1X,XXX. The guy never rode it just inspected it. He brought all 100 dollar bills. Arranged in advance. I bought a bill check pen at Walmart for $1.50. Checked them all. Took a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I bought my '86 the guy let me test ride it with no cash down. He might have checked my license. I think I look legit and my girlfriend and dog came along. The bike isn't worth a whole heck of a lot which might have played into his risk/reward calculus. I'd be inclined to let the next guy test ride it. I like the money marker idea to verify the bills are good though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Last bike I sold, seller gave me cash in hand for the test ride while his truck and brother hung out with me until the bike returned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts