Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My friend and neighbor has someone's bike he's working on. It's an exotic racing Honda liquid cooled 250cc something or other. It was equipped with a right hand shift. The owner wanted to convert to a left hand shift so my neighbor bought the necessary conversion kit. The problem is that there will be a hole in the inside underside of the case, open on one side and it will have crankcase oil inside. Approx 3/8" in diameter, it must be plugged. We discussed an aluminum plug chilled in alcohol and dry ice but decided upon something threaded using a thread sealant of some type. Off the top of my head I think of: teflon tape, 3bond firm, JB Weld and Locktite blue.
It needs to seal and it needs to hold mechanically in a vibrating engine. My thought leans toward JB Weld.

Have any of you guys got a favorite thread sealant that I don't know about?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'd lean more toward teflon or rector seal and just use an NPT tap so it snugs up well, I've had various levels of luck with them, but I think JB might cause problems down the road.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,729 Posts
imported post

I have had a bad experience every time when using JB Weld in the presence of hot oil.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well tap the hole and put a threaded plug in it is what i would do

jb weld will just leak over timei suppose some kind of epoxy would do the job but it has to be oil resistant or as oil resistant as possible

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Is this hole needed in the future ? Is it an access port I guess is what I am asking . If its not needed and the cases are apart , I'd have the plug welded in place . I know , lots of ifs in there . But it is a permanent solution .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

+1 I'd also have it welded if it's not going to be used again. J.B. Weld and other epoxies aren't happy in high temperatures or hot oil both together are triply bad. If the hole's edge is thick enough you could, as has already been suggested, thread it and screw in a plug. One other possibility depending on how much room you have around it would be to cut a diamond shape piece of 1/16-1/8" aluminum to fasten over the hole with a couple screws installed in drilled and tapped holes on either side. A bit of Permatex and the diamond shaped cover screwed over the hole should do the job. Done neatly it wouldn't even look like a patch.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Good old fashioned hemp and "Boss White" or what ever make of plumbers sealant you get out there.
It has worked on high temperature systems for donkey's years and no reason why it won't do the job.

This assumes that the plug is threaded of course.

:thumbsup::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Before you go in there welding, make sure that the case isn't magnesium.

Some side covers on Hondas are magnesium.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Personally I wouldn't use a thread sealant. Nor would I have it welded. I'd tap the hole use an appropriate sized flat bottom bolt with a large head and a rubber washer or an O-ring.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Personally I wouldn't use a thread sealant. Nor would I have it welded. I'd tap the hole use an appropriate sized flat bottom bolt with a large head and a rubber washer or an O-ring
Man, I hate when somebody uses logic, always makes me look dumb :waving::D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.