Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When the PBR, and [highlight= #ffff88]PBL sensors go bad or start to go bad, how does the bike run? I'm gonna drop my 85 Limited off at the shop tomorrow and pay an hour of diag time to hopefully figure out why my bike runs like crap, but I've run out of ideas. Does anyone know how these two sensors make the bike run, and also maybe the throttle sensor?[/highlight]

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Do you have the LTD/SEI service manual supplement? It tells what symptoms can be caused by the various sensors, and gives procedures for testing all the sensors.

According to the manual there are about 10 different problems that can be caused by the PBL/PBR sensors. But remember, those sensors get their information through vacuum tubing, and between those sensors and the intake, there are 10 pieces of vacuum tubing, 4 T fittings, and 2 plugs. Either a leak or a plugged up tube anywhere in all that could cause the entire system to malfunction. Make sure all the vacuum lines are new, the fittings are good, there are no leaks, nothing is plugged, kinked, or flattened.

See why I like carburetors?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Jerry, do you have the LTD service manual supplement? Anyway I can get a copy of it? I have a LTD that will not start and have tried many things already.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

gmoney wrote:
Jerry, do you have the LTD service manual supplement? Anyway I can get a copy of it? I have a LTD that will not start and have tried many things already.
gmoney welcome to the forum. You should start your own post so that it will get the attention it needs. Someone on this thread will get you a copy of the supplement. Additionally when you start your post be as specific as possible. You mention that it doesn't start but not the symptoms. In others words is it cranking but not starting, cranking slow, fast etc. Additionally list some of the things you have tried and don't forget to mention anything significant that led up to the problem...like it sat for 3 years and then wouldn't start etc. We can get it solved.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

roadkingrich wrote:
When the PBR, and [highlight= #ffff88]PBL sensors go bad or start to go bad, how does the bike run? I'm gonna drop my 85 Limited off at the shop tomorrow and pay an hour of diag time to hopefully figure out why my bike runs like crap, but I've run out of ideas. Does anyone know how these two sensors make the bike run, and also maybe the throttle sensor?
Rich

I'm pretty sure you had another thread for this same problem but gonna ask anyway...have you checked fault codes while bike is running crappy? AsJerry has stated vacuum lines rotted are a good possibility but I would troubleshoot first before tearing into anything.

Jerry not really sure why you mention liking carbs over fuel injection. Most people who own a LTD or SEI sought them out and purchased them specifically for the fuel injection which, In my opinion, works pretty damn good for a 25-26 year old bike.
Your bike had some rotted vacuum hoses-not fuel injection problems. Carbed bikes also have vacuum hoses. Same problem can occur there.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yep. I had another post about the same problem. I didn't go as far as taking the fake gas tank off, but sprayed everywhere as best I could with brake cleaner on the vaccum hoses and it made no difference. I put a new battery in it and now of course I have a charging problem. No codes are being thrown and even after I've charged the battery completly, it's still running like crap.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First I am way more familiar with carbs. But during the past few weeks I have also become familiar with the LTD fuel injection and how it works. I now have mine working fine. My problem with it comes from the fact that there are virtually no parts available for it. I searched for some time for the parts I needed, and finally ordered some from a well known vendor of used Goldwing parts. Unfortunately they turned out to be as bad as what I already had. The reason these parts are so hard to find in good condition, is because they are constructed of rubber BONDED to metal. After 26 years, the rubber is going to be rotted. So I had to fabricate my own parts, which actually worked. I do not dislike the system, I just wish parts were available for it.

gmoney and roadkingrich, check your PM

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Solved my problem, it was the crank sensor...we now have one more LTD on the roads in Colorado!!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

gmoney wrote:
Solved my problem, it was the crank sensor...we now have one more LTD on the roads in Colorado!!
So, where'd you get the sensor? Or, did you sub another? This may help someone down the road.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
gmoney wrote:
So, where'd you get the sensor? Or, did you sub another? This may help someone down the road.
AMEN!!

I had to get a used one from a parted out 86sei, would love to find a sub!

Ben

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

1/2 a 1500 crank sensor works, but some mods need to be done to physically mount it, then the wires may have to be reversed to get it to run correctly.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

A buddy came over and figured out it's the regulator so I'm just waiting for4 the new one to get here. I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Are you talking Fuel pressure regulator or voltage regulator?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Voltage. Got it on today and fixed my charging problem. Glad it wasn't a stator.
I'm thinking I have a throttle position sensor going bad. If I take off fairly easy, it runs smooth and as long as I don't get into hard, it rides nice. If I'm in nutural and twist it all the way, iy acts like a rev limiter on a car. Anyone have any thoughts on this and thank you everyone for the help with this regulator. Now as long as I can get everything put back together the way it's spose to be!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.