Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Alright people, I'm trying to derust and clean the camshaft and pulley. The problem is that I can't seam to be able to separate to two. I was going to soak them in some diesel but with that rubber piece that is inside that assembly, I have been told that is not a good idea. So if I want to clean them I have to take them apart. I'm trying to be carful with the camshaft as not to injure it.

Can anyone here tell me how they did theirs, Is there a special way? Is it because it is just rusted together? Alright any help on this would be appreciated.

I've also wondered about maybe heating the pulley but have not tried it yet and like I said I want to make sure I don’t hurt anything.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Is the rubber piece the camshaft oil seal? If so I guess the camshaft is still in the cylinder head. A pullers would be the ideal tool for removing the pulley, but if you don't have one you can use two big screwdrivers to gently lever/rock the pulley off. Use a rag between the screwdrivers and the casing so you won't mark it.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I have the camshaft and pulley completely separated from everything else. The heads are out the rockers are out everything is disassembled. I'm not trying to clean the parts. But I can't get the pulleys apart form the camshafts. The rubber piece is that round ring type thing that sits at the base of the camshaft where it meets the pulley. It’s been a while since I took the camshaft off of the head so I can't remember exactly what their purpose was.
So you’re saying taking a screwdriver to the joint where the camshaft and pulley meet and start jamming it in there to separate them? That to me sounds a little rough but you think it should be fine?

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

You are talking about the camshaft seals . I would remove the bolt which holds the pulley in place . Start putting PB Blaster on the joint . DO this several days . This pulley is not real strong as to pulling or prying on the outer edged , you will very likely just break the spokes . If you can get some support on the inside of the pulley , where it fits the shaft . Then you could possibly press it out . Sorry its been a while since I had a cam out in my hands . The point is you want the support on the back side as close to the center hub as possible . If you can get support there , after soaking with PB Blaster for a few days .Then you should be able to press it out or put the cam pulley bolt in place loosen the bolt 3-4 turnsthen lightly tap on the bolt to seperate the shaft and pulley . AS the pulley moves be sure to loosen the bolt more as you go .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.