Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday, a beautiful day. went for a ride, took my sister since her old man passed away last year and they rode together all the time. got about 2 miles from home and smelled wires getting hot. Dam radio caused my vetter plug to go into big melt down.

caused dogbone fuse to go. what kind of amperage should a radio use? I think this is a technical question, I 'm sure the mods will be kind and let me know. I had radio ran directly to battery, now Looking back probably a bad idea. anyway any ideas let me know thx.

Tom:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

if its only a radio reciever like a standard car stereo, three amps max, unless someone has stuck a 20-30 amp fuse in it, or you could have a short out somewhere along its length to the radio, causing the plug to melt,

having said that, it would depend on what radio it is, and what power amp it has in it, if its only using 4 watt speakers it would be a low amp fuse, what make of stereo is it

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Redneck it is just an old Kraco radio probably as old as the 79 vetter fairing it came in with stock speakers.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No it was the first to go yesterday.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

When you get everything wired back up put a in line fuse of 10 to 15 amps max.....

Claude......

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I don't know the amps but I'm running a XM2Go and a 300w amp in the fairing with 2 new 4.5" & 2 marine3.5" speakers in the trunk. No problems whatsoever, it rocks on. Never blew a fuse and sounds good on the interstate too.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

tom, the only kraco radio's i have come across are the cb radio's and they had a two amp fuse in them, my 100 watt transmitters use 25 amp fuses, if your using an in dash car radio then i would suggest no less than two amp and no more the 5 amp fuses, 10 -15 amp fuses are way too much if its blowing fuses and melting wires, there either a fault on the receiver itself or the live feed to the unit is shorting to ground somewhere along ts length

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Check for mice in your fairing and radio housing eating the wires and causing the shorting. Don't forget the bodily functions of the mice cause everything else to corrode. Nice picture, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.